Third Party Firmware Linksys BEFW11S4 ?

I just acquired a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver4. Is there any third party firmware for this like there is for the WRT54G??? I Googled but didn't find it. Anyone have any experience with this?

-- Carlos

Reply to
CarlosAntenna
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:50:37 GMT, "CarlosAntenna" wrote in :

See supported devices for third party firmwares linked in the wikis below.

Reply to
John Navas

Which says nothing about the BEFW11S4 router.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:22:51 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

Then that's the answer.

Reply to
John Navas

"CarlosAntenna" hath wroth:

No alternative firmware. See:

formatting link
a list of supported hardware. The BEFW11S4 is not among them.

Incidentally, I have a BEFW11S4v4 that tends to hang or act weird every few days. Apparently it's a common problem and is not cureable with firmware updates. I had to put an AC power lamp timer on the power supply to cycle the power daily in order to keep it running.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

|> >I just acquired a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver4. Is there any third party | firmware |> >for this like there is for the WRT54G??? I Googled but didn't find it. |> >Anyone have any experience with this? |>

|> See supported devices for third party firmwares linked in the wikis |> below. | | Which says nothing about the BEFW11S4 router.

Which means no one who contributes to the wiki knows about such firmware. That doesn't mean no such firmware exists, but the probability is low. Since it is a wiki, if you ever do find such firmware exists, you can help by adding the info. Maybe none exists today and might tomorrow.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On 25 Jul 2006 16:21:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote in :

Only if you limit yourself to the wikis themselves, which would be pretty silly. Follow links in the wiki to the firmware sites to see their lists of supported devices, which are presumably authoritative. Takes all of a few minutes.

Reply to
John Navas

If you're going to direct people somewhere, at least point them toward something that actually HAS AN ANSWER. Not just pimping your wiki, get it?

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:52:34 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

I point them in the right direction. The rest is up to them. Get it? ;)

Reply to
John Navas

From what I've read its more of a firmware downgrade you need, v1.50.14 being the most stable. v1.52.02 has problems with UDP and Multicast causing it to lock up regularly.

I'm using v1.5.14 and its been fine for week now, although I must admit I'm now only using it as a wifi access point having got pissed off it crashing.

Reply to
Paul

• weekS.
Reply to
Paul

Except it isn't the right direction. While it's certainly laudable you've put the effort into cobbling together a wiki it's useless to keep pointing people to it when they're looking for answers THAT AREN'T IN IT.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:36:33 -0400, "Bill Kearney" wrote in :

I think it is.

They are.

Reply to
John Navas

"Paul" hath wroth:

I've had my BEFW11S4v4 for about 2 years. I've gone through perhaps 3 firmware updates. All of them do the same thing. However, you're correct that 1.52.02 is clobbered by streaming audio and video. It doesn't take much. About 3-5 minutes of screaming video and it's hung.

The wireless is fine. It's the router section that crap. If you just use it as an access point, you're probably safe.

Here's a fun router exploit test.

formatting link
BEFW11S4 v4 hangs on two of the test.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, we can keep on with the Rinse Lather Repeat of "Yes it is" and "No it's isn't" thru the end of time (this is Usenet!), but that's not very productive.

Maybe John could start pointing people deeper into the Wiki "Here's a pointer to the page on which your question is answered" rather than "If it's not in my Wiki it doesn't exist".

The absence of an answer to the OP's question doesn't count as an answer. [Yeah, I know, "Yes it does"... Sigh]

The correct answer in this case would be "There don't seem to be any alternative firmwares for that router, and it's so old and (hardware?) buggy that it's probably worth junking it and getting a WRT54GL, for which many fine alternate firmwares _are_ available."

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Your [Google] search - site:Wireless.wikia.com befw11s4 - did not match any documents.

YII/NII/RLR

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:47:50 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote in :

True. It's easy to create searches that fail. That's why I directed the OP to the specific relevant section and the links it contains.

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:44:51 -0400, William P.N. Smith wrote in :

True -- the real issue is the waste of resources on this off-topic metadiscussion. Bill and you could have been constructive in a number of ways, but instead he and you just made rude and unhelpful accusations that are only true in a narrow literal sense. While the wiki doesn't have a literal direct answer to the original question (now lost in all the off-topic metadiscussion), it does have a directly relevant section with links to sites where authoritative answers can be found. That's arguably better than non-authoritative information that could easily get out of date (probably leading to different criticisms), the whole point of external links on which the World Wide Web is based.

Maybe Bill and/or you could start contributing material you think belongs in the wiki instead of just being critical. The section on

3rd-party Firmware, for example, would undoubtedly benefit from some expansion.

I neither said not implied anything of the kind.

My answer pointed to the relevant section of the wiki, which has links to the desired information, plus a wealth of other information that might also be helpful. I think it makes more sense to give a man seeds to plant than seeds to eat. I also think it makes more sense to invest my time in the wiki, and refer people to it, than in endlessly repeated answers that aren't as likely to be effective. Apparently you disagree, and I respect that. Why don't you afford me the same respect?

There's no one correct answer or way to do something. Reasonable people can and do disagree.

You could of course have done that yourself, rather than just taking a shot at me, which wasn't at all helpful to the OP. Or even added whatever content to the wiki you think it needs and lacks. That's the whole point of a wiki -- anyone and everyone can get involved.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, yeah, if all you want is an 802.11b (11mb) connection. But given how cheaply one can get 802.11g and now even pre-NB it seems kinda pointless to bother putting up with the BEFW11S4 and it's nonsense. This from a guy with exactly one of these units gathering dust on the workbench...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Oh there you go, just because someone gets tired of seeing your content-free posts, and calls you on it, they're the rude ones? And you wonder why people call you out?

What and help carry your sorry-ass along? No thanks.

Oh that's rich, given your pathetic behavior in other newsgroups you shouldn't be surprised.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.