Thinkpad R40 and Wireless

I have an R40 Dual Boot system - win xp pro sp2 and win98se. I am connected wirelessy to a Belkin 54g router router.

When I check my speeds in win98se, they are as they should be. However, when I check them in win xp (latest wireless drivers), they are reduced by about 25% (4200mbs vs. 3400mps).

Any ideas as to what is happening?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt
Loading thread data ...

On XP, are you using XP's built-in wireless utility to check signal stength? I have also noticed that it's reporting is often different from that of the utility that is bundled with the wireless card.

cheers, Tony

Reply to
TV

Hmmm..that's weird. Sounds as if the device driver on XP is actually attenuating the signal to effectively reduce bandwidth. Do you have the latest-greatest version of drivers on XP from the card vendor? Sorry can't help you much.

Tony

Reply to
TV

Yes, also the IBM Access Connection reports a decent signal. The issue is that when I run various download tests, the win98se setup consistently reports about 4200mbs while the XP setup reports around

3400mps.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

I have the latest drivers for XP. I even tried the old drivers that win98se is using - no difference. Also, I can take the laptop right up to the router (100% signal strength with the same results. Very strange, indeed.

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.