The world sees my IP address (I read everything) Is there no better solution?

BTW, if you do ... and if you vote ... then you scare me.

Reply to
JoeSchmoe
Loading thread data ...

JoeSchmoe wrote in news:i6gdb6$abf$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

That's fairly incoherent.

Reply to
DanS

Given the ISP statements are correct, your ONLY option is to change to a different ISP. Period.

If you just want to contact yahoo, etc. from a different IP address, you could try TOR or some other proxy. But I'm fairly sure that TOR is only intended for web traffic, and it's certainly unlikely to work for all the protocols you mentioned in your first post.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

Ummm... er... they were 'meant' to be humorous examples, not to be taken literally.

The fact that you think privacy is only for criminals makes me scared. I certainly hope you're in the minority or, God help us, we'll end up in

1984 sooner rather than later.
Reply to
JoeSchmoe

Actually if I change to the only other ISP available, I would have the same problem (only with a different IP address).

However, there are options I have as shown in this helpful thread:

1. I can, of course, use a variety of public wi-fi hotspots (but that's rather inconvenient for daily activities).
  2. For the http protocol, TorButton is an ugly option of Firefox. It works some of the time, but often the TOR servers are on blacklists, and it's rather slow for daily activities.
  3. For the nntp protocol, I could employ a variety of nntp newsservers, testing which, if any, don't actually publish the original IP address (in either obfuscated or cleartext form).
  4. For IRC and other protocols, I'm still under the impression that TOR will work so I've made progress today in getting Vidalia/Tor to work on Linux.

The remaining question is whether there are any OTHER options available?

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, JoeSchmoe chose the tried and tested strategy of:

VPN.

Reply to
alexd

formatting link

Reply to
Airman Basic

JoeSchmoe wrote in news:i6hvfj$59q$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Those were examples *you* gave as reasons for what you are asking. I could only assume that's what you are into.

I never said that.

Reply to
DanS

Well then, what do you think is so wrong about wanting privacy then?

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe wrote in news:i6k92l$ci1$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Nothing.

But the example's you gave were hilarious.

My expectations where....it's the government man.....they're out to get you....this whole big conspiracy thing that you were going to expand on....about Google saving your searches....or all e-mails being saved and scanned by the government, and Big Brother, etc.

But you come back with bad behaviour as the need to change IPs.

I just don't see the point of wanting your IP address changed unless its due to illegal activity, like harassing someone via e-mail for example since you claimed it, or due to someones bad behavior, like they have some split personality self-flame war going on in some forum or newsgroup.

I keep telling my son......if (whatever) is something you absolutely would't want anyone to know about, then don't do (whatever), as it very well could come out some day.

And the warning isn't about the internet, I'm speaking of real life.

Reply to
DanS

So the fact that I clearly don't want ALL my Internet activities associated with the same person - is proof (to you) of illegal activity?

Let me tell you a secret only we criminals seem to know ...

- I'm posting from home.

- I pay by check to my ISP.

- My ISP knows who I am.

- My ISP keeps server logs.

- Everything I do on that account is known to my ISP.

- Everyone knows a subpoena will force the ISP to spill their guts.

- If I was going to do anything illegal, I'd do it on YOUR account, not mine!

BTW, what is your IP address?

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

I'm confused.

I understand how VPN encrypts the "traffic"; but that's not what I'm after (since, I'm not worried, per se, about the content).

I'm worried about the identity of the sender being triangulated so to speak.

How does VPN prevent the identity of the sender from being known?

Is it that the typical VPN solutions ALSO provide randomly changing IP addresses for my communicades?

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

JoeSchmoe wrote in news:i6lim0$i44$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Good for you.

Yeah.

So does mine.

I don't know if mine does, but most likely.

Same here.

Sorry, you can't use my account. You lack the internet saavy to that...rememeber ?

Look it up.

Why would only criminals know that stuff ? You think everyone else is *that* stupid ?

Reply to
DanS

Again: "For the last eight years HotSpotVPN's servers have resided in redundant geographically dispersed secure data centers. Each server enjoys a gigabit connection to the data center's multi gigabit backbone."

Your IP address will be one of those VPN servers. As others have said, however, the VPN provider will tell the government anything they need to know about you, push comes to shove.

Reply to
Airman Basic

hmmm, little birdies whispering in a tree oh my what do I see...but troll who was back to haunt. How lame how droll to be a troll and what a typical cowardly troll.

Reply to
Schiffner

Do you know the story of Oedipus?

What makes you so sure YOU know what your son will want to do fifty years from now?

Those stories are just examples ... point is that people constantly have a need for privacy ... and they're not all criminals.

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

Hi Airman, I understand that.

But will the server CHANGE every time?

Or do you always get the same geographically close server?

Reply to
JoeSchmoe

Joe:

If it hasn't been mentioned, use a proxy service that makes your IP address anonymous. You also can have a VPN through that service that encrypts your transactions through your ISP to the Proxy service. (That way your ISP would have no idea of what you were doing, should they look.)

Do a search on Internet Proxy service, and you find many, some free.

Reply to
Rich Johnson

I'm using TOR now (and TorButton in Firefox) but it's sloooooow. And, many web sites (even Google & Yahoo) block many of the proxies. So, at least the free TOR is not a viable solution.

BTW, VPN encryption isn't what I'm looking for. I have nothing against encryption but what I'm trying to accomplish ISN'T hiding my activities themselves ... what I want to do is change just the IP address (the activities can be sent in cleartext for all I care).

But, if VPN encryption services ALSO get me a different (random) IP address, that would be heaven sent.

Reply to
JoeSchmoe
16 Sep 2010,JoeSchmoe in news:i6utg1$prr$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

might be fast enough if turn off images, like in the dialup days.

your ip could be sent within some plaintext, by a script as example. a pernicious webpage might do that instead of blocking tor ips.

i've read of distributed (?) encypted networks. i think "ip2", some others. but "nobody" uses them, so then "nobody uses them" because "nobody is using them".

Reply to
8os.8

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.