the last three miles

We controlled both end of the link, and using Cisco Call Manager and Cisco routers we have Voip enabled across the satellite link. On both end of the link we used IP accelerators to implement QOS for us. What it basically does is combine all the VOIP packets and gives them a higher priority than other IP traffic. Now in this case we controlled both ends of the link, and it was our units on both ends of the links. There is the typical satellite delay, plus you have to manipulate the jitter buffers. We also ran G729 across the satellite links, and G711 if the call stayed at location it orginated at.

formatting link

>
Reply to
Dana
Loading thread data ...

No wireless. No cable. Cable stops about 4 miles away. I doubt I'll see it or DSL within the next 10 or 15 years.

Things I've learned thus far:

You can run an ARS search to determine the exact position of nearby cellular tower. You first use Google earth or GPS to determine the residence's position by running a "Search by Tower Location" search

formatting link
Then plop a placemarker into Google Earth, and then use the ruler to determine the distance of the residence from the tower. I'm actually on 2.5 miles from the tower. The tower is also owned by Crown, is

66.4 meters tall with a base actually at 15.8 meters above sea- level.

To determine if line of sight is feasible and the potential antenna tower height at the residence, you float weather balloon and look for it from the tower. This would require access to the tower. Does Crown grant access for just anyone to climb the tower or would I have to work with them or an approved third party. Anyone familiar with this part? Later I would need to mount the antenna and run conduit. So, the same question exists. Do they let only specific third parties do this or do they handle this part and what is this going to cost me.

Antenna manufactures are American Tower Company (http://

formatting link
TACO Communications
formatting link
and
formatting link
make cross braced towers that can reach up 190 ft / 58 meter tall towers, if supported by guy wires. Not sure how tall they can go un- guy wire supported. The nice thing about these towers is they can be erected without renting equipment like so
formatting link
Monopoles are cleaner lined and can be found here
formatting link
specifically manufactured by Radian Rohn. Ranging in light, medium, and heavy gauge. These aren't cheap, come in sections, and in some cases don't even need cement to be mounted. The mount like the proper way you'd plant a fence post: dig a hole, plop in, fill around with rock and then dirt.

Meridian Microwave offer a link heavy tech desk at

formatting link
as well as offer a wide range of licensed and unlicensed antennas, priced from $2k into the twenty-k range. Their unlicensed antennas
formatting link
can deliver 32 MBps up 30-miles and Gig-E up to 4-miles. I'm guessing antenna-wise at the cellular tower, I'm going to need antenna with as small a foot print as possible to minimize the complications of mounting a large parabolic onto the tower. I suspect here large and bulky won't fly especially the higher up I need to go.

-Wil

Reply to
wilstrange

"Peter Pan" | >>> Check with the local high school.. Many of them already have | >>> internet for the students, and they have to get it from somewhere, | >>

| >> Might be a T1 connection. | >

| > Most are under e-rate programs and are typically limited in what | > outside connections they can allow. | | Note two things, the OP didn't say where he was at, and second, you use the | word "most".... cxactly my point, the local high school in Rathdrum Idaho | was getting service from skynet of spokane (microwave link to a repeater on | a nearby mountain), I was able to glom onto that....

The rules of the e-rate grants say NO some either don't know or don't care but they are risking having the grant pulled.

Reply to
NotMe

Any comments to the below?

-Michael

formatting link
They make cross braced towers that can reach up 190 ft / 58 meter tall

formatting link
as well as

formatting link
can deliver 32 MBps

Reply to
wilstrange

I see. You've got more than just a consumer Hughesnet setup going. Good gear and control makes the difference, no doubt.

Thanks for the links, maybe I'll find improvments I can implement unilaterally using DD-WRT and/or my pc....

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Only that you are working really hard to avoid the obvious solution for remote business locations which is business-class satellite uplink.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.