The classic Wireless to Wired problem

Hello,

I've read tons of posts on this forum and others dealing with similar problems to mine, but with slight discrepencies that seem to make a huge difference. So, here goes an attempt to describe my problem.

1A= Primary wireless router (Linksys WRT54G), on main floor (192.168.1.1) 1B= Secondary wireless router (USR5461) on lower level of building (192.168.1.129) 2A= Wired Laptop connected to 1A (192.168.1.101) 2B= Wired Desktop connected to 1B (192.168.1.130) 3A= Wireless Laptop connected to 1A (192.168.1.102)

Like usual, its impractical to run a CAT5, or I would and this wouldn't even be an issue.

Some people think in diagrams and some think in sentences (I'm diagrams) so I'll explain in both.

The configuration I'm shooting for:

Reply to
aterblue
Loading thread data ...

You need to configure your router 1B as a wireless bridge (not a router). This will allow you to connect desktop 2B to it (via patchcord) and 1B will provide connectivity to router 1A. 1A will still be able to connect wirelessly to 2A and 3A.

Reply to
jch

like other mentioned - the far end needs to be acting like a "bridge". This is how I have my house setup... my WAP is on the 2nd floor, and I have a Linksys WET11 wireless bridge downstairs in the family room that connects to a small 5-port hub, that in turn connects the Tivo (ethernet) and Xbox (ethernet).

Reply to
P.Schuman

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn. If the wireless signal will reach from 1A to 1B, why can't you just put a wireless adapter in 2B, as 3A has, to connect to 1A?

Why do you even need the second router 1B?

Reply to
klim

That would work as well. The OP stated he already had the 2nd router so the best solution is to use what he has. Using the router (1B) configured as a wireless bridge also provides more flexibility should he want to add another ethernet device in the same location as 2B.

Reply to
jch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.