Thank you, Jeff Liebermann

Not just for all the help you've given me, but for all the advice you post here. Your contributions to this group are invaluable, and every so often, it needs to be publicly acknowledged. This is one of those times.

Thank you for all your help.

Harvey Gerst Indian Trail Recording Studio

formatting link

Reply to
Harvey Gerst
Loading thread data ...

Ditto from me. Though Jeff is not the only helpful person here, he is quite prolific in his responses!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Thanks, but quantity is not a great substitute for quality. I do make mistakes.

I could use some help in getting people to supply the model numbers of their existing hardware and descriptions of their operating system. It's difficult to answer questions without these. I've tried everything from satirical humiliation to polite hints. Nothing seems to work. The result is usually some hate mail, which I often deserve.

The problem is common in all mailing lists, newsgroups, web logs, and such, but particularly bad in alt.internet.wireless. If you answer someones question, and they didn't supply enough details for a proper answer, kindly inform them of the problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

We have the same problem over on the recording studio groups and forums that I frequent. Often, the poster asking the question is so new, he/she doesn't know how to properly frame the question. Often the only ppossible responses are, "What are you trying to do with it?", or, "It depends.".

We get a lot of "what's the best mic for my voice?" Well, I don't know what your voice sounds like. And you don't wanna spend more than $100, but you want it to sound like this CD (which was recorded using a $10,000 mic)?

As for me, I went to my Travel America truck stop a couple of weeks ago, and got my Microsoft PCMCIA card and laptop up and running just fine, reading emails and the newsgroups, thanks to a lot of people here.

I'm probably gonna spend a few bucks more per month and just use my Samsung cell phone to connect my laptop to the Internet when I'm travelling in the RV. Between that and using wi-fi (when available), I'll probably be ok.

Harvey Gerst Indian Trail Recording Studio

formatting link

Reply to
Harvey Gerst

shuddup, stop being so modest and take your praise like a man!

i'd also like to thank you again :-)

Reply to
bryan

My use of the term "prolific" was in reference to the number of times you respond to help queries, not to the length of your responces!

I am guilty of that at times in my efforts to keep the amount of data in my postings down to a reasonable size. I will consider the need for specific info in future postings, though.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

It appears that Jeff Liebermann shook an Etch A Sketch before scribbling:

The *real* problem is that most people coming into the groups for the first time never bother to take the time to read anything before posting their own question. Often, they would probably find that they were not the first person to have the same problem, and would find it already discussed. Even if they didn't find their answer, they would very quickly find what information is required to solve a problem, and be able to give that information when asking their question.

What is needed is a standard FAQ mechanism that newsreader programs could use to find a newsgroup FAQ and slap it in front of a person the first time they subscribe to a group.

Reply to
TV Slug

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.