text file configuration of wireless access points

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a wireless access point to sit between an ADSL modem and my laptop running Debian. I'd like to find one that easily allows me to download its complete configuration state to a text file, which I can subsequently modify and then upload without fuss (via ssh, ftp?). Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

-James

Reply to
James.Leifer
Loading thread data ...

I have a feeling in the back of my mind that some of the linksys and dlink ones do that i've used in the past.

Have to ask, why though? There's not much you'd want to change once it set up and there's not much to change if you've just got the one laptop behind it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

snipped-for-privacy@inria.fr wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The D-Link T-series products (DSL-G604T, DSL-504T etc) can write out a config backup file structured as XML.

The T stands for TI and the products are based on the TI AR7 single chip communications processor, and run MontaVista Linux + the BusyBox toolset/shell on the AR7's embedded MIPS cpu.

There are several other brands of product based on this processor - Netgear DG834, Actiontec GT704 etc and their wirless variants. I understand that they use a similar if not identical scheme.

Apart from editing and (re)loading the .xml config file, it is also possible to Telnet in as root and execute a script. It's also possible to load executable code via tftp onto one of the mtd 'devices' and run that. The boot monitor/debugger is also an FTP server...

I'm sure that a combination of these techniques would allow you to achieve your requirement. As the model number of the D-Link products implies, each of them has an inbuilt ADSL modem - which may not be what you want. On the other hand, it may allow you to do away with the external modem...

Hope this helps

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.