Tenant shares wireless connection.

Routers are cheap. So you could use two - or three - routers to isolate a private part of the LAN.

Two examples

formatting link
formatting link
See the Related articles at the bottom of the page too.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt
Loading thread data ...

I told her never to agree to having a tenant move in until you do a background check.I said just because the former tenant was a good tenant, it doesn't mean her friend will be the same.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

Background checks and references are nearly useless. Most references are coached to lie for their friends. Landlords are reluctant to give bad references because of fear of subsequent retaliation. You can get a credit history, but most students are not registered with a credit bureau and have little to report. Parents can co-sign as resposible party, but might be no better than the student.

One of my rentals became a student crash pad after my long term good tenants (15 years) left. There were 3 or 4 of them in the house at a time. There was a constant turn-over as one left and was replaced by their friends. Anyone staying more than a few days got to fill out a application, sign a rental agreement (not a lease), and submit a deposit (so I could pay the former tenant back their deposit). In other words, it was a formal process. I had problems, but the turn-over method seemed to work as long as the original tenants were fairly repsonsible. Good people tend to have similar friends. A good question to ask is "How long have you known your friend"? If less than about a year, be suspicious. If more than a few years, they're probably fairly similar in living habits. Talking to the parents is often a good idea, as you can get a clue of what might happen if you have to fall back and ask for their help.

However, that's not what my rant is about. I'm merely suggesting that you know the applicable laws (for "hiring of property"), that you cover thy ass with contracts and paper, and that you do a minimum effort to pre-qualify a prospective tenant. Finding a tenant is MUCH easier than getting rid of one.

Also, $30 to $175 for a router that supports a "guest" account is a cheap investment for internal security and peace in the house.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Unfortunately it really doesn't matter. An agreement is just a tiny slowdown for an attorney who has their picture on every city bus and late night TV advising they will "help you". If someone is inclined to not be personally responsible they will ask "for help" agreement or not.

Reply to
George

Its a waste of time to do that. You have to learn how to read people and scope out their car, how they behave and what their current residence looks like.

Reply to
George

I've discussed this with the wife before ad nauseum and to no avail. She just doesn't see things in a rational way.She doesn't believe in legal contracts or anything else. When she meets a prospective tenant,she evaluates on intuition. As i said before, she owns the house. She can decide who comes or goes. I'll suggest the "guest' router to her. That's a good idea.Regards.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

A contract exists, but not a tenancy agreement. And in Scotland it is a legal requirement to provide a written tenancy agreement.

Uk law has this to say: "...a legal contract exists between a landlord and a tenant whether or not anything is written down. [-] A verbal contract may, however, be difficult to enforce, especially if there were no witnesses to the agreement"

This last part is the bit to think about - if you have no written agreement, as a landlord you can't keep the deposit to pay for repairs, you can't stop the tenant having wild parties or painting the room puce, On the other hand the tenant can't stop the landlord doubling the rent, or charging extra for internet access or giving him a week's notice.

So its in everyone's interests.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I also use intuition. The difference is that I have about 40 years of experience dealing with tenants. BTW, my best tenants initially barely spoke English.

Here's the mess my last tenants at my last rental left me. There's more in the garage and behind the house.

Students in, garbage out. Actually, there was quite a bit of good stuff left behind, including $120 in cash in a jacket pocket. I can't really complain, except for the 7 trips to the dump in my mini-pickup. I sold the house a few weeks later.

Yep. That should work.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you have a newer d-link router (mine is a Dir-625): Login then click on Advanced tab click on Advanced Wireless on left menu check WLAN Partition Save

WLAN Partition Enabling WLAN Partition prevents associated wireless clients from communicating with each other.

Reply to
totalstranger

And also prevent the OP from communicating with his own peers.

What use is a LAN in that case?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

In my case it's simply a pipe for multiple wireless laptops to share a high speed connection to the internet. My partner travels and connects to multiple wireless networks while away from home. Should her machine get infected, my laptop is isolated and cannot be seen by her machine and vice versa. However, we are both able to connect to the wired Canon multi-function printer/copier/scanner/fax connected to the router.

Reply to
totalstranger

That will prevent the wireless clients from seeing each other, but will not isolate the wireless connected tenant from the CAT5 wire connected desktop. "WLAN Parition", "AP Isolation", "client isolation", and "hotspot mode" will only isolate wireless clients, not wired.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That is correct, otherwise I could not use my wired LAN printer. I should have noted this this in my original post-sorry.

Reply to
totalstranger

A contract is generally a good idea, it never hurts to spell out basic rules and regulations going in.

That being said, where I live, if the landlord accepts a current and post dated cheque, or two payments exactly a month apart, it automatically establishes a month-to-month tenancy. The law establishes a basic contract automatically, and without anything else being signed, those two canceled cheques guarantee that I can't be kicked out without at least three month's notice (unless I have a significant breech; failing to pay rent, physical assault, damage to the property exceeding my damage deposit along with a refusal to correct the situation, etc), my rent can't be raised for a year, the landlord cannot change keys under *any* circumstances without permission from myself or a judge.

My current contract specifically spells out a number of terms that are unenforceable because the law specifically prohibits them, and even attempting to enforce some of them would result in my landlord being charged with a variety of non-real-estate laws. This contract could actually work in my favour since if it ever went to court, the fact that a number of terms in the contract are explicitly forbidden by law shows bad faith on the part of the owner.

So I stand by what I said, where I'm living, the contract isn't particularly important, but this *really* depends on your local jurisdiction. A landlord would do well to sit down and read the local statutes before deciding if they want to rent at all, and what sort of written agreements should be made.

Another thing that jumps out at me, in the previous discussion someone mentioned needing the next deposit to pay the first, where I live deposits must be kept either in a bank account dedicated to damage deposits or in a trust account and cannot be touched under any circumstances until the tenancy is terminated, a landlord that uses one deposit to pay the next would find themselves in trouble if the tenant ever requested information about where and how the deposit was kept.

I'm not saying that a contract is or isn't required, I'd always recommend one even if only to make sure both parties have a meeting of the minds even on topics dictated by law, but it may not be as bad as some people are making out.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Put his computer in the DMZ and let him be the sentinel chicken :)

Reply to
Philip

Yes, similar here - but that isn't a contract. Without something written or at worst witnessed, both parties can change the terms and there's no realistic comeback.

But this is wildly offtopic for this group. The OP should write up a simple tenancy agreement covering internet access too, and ensure that the current and future tenants sign it.

I think you'd find that if you got into a dispute with your landlord then it would suddenly become very important. :-(

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

But change to what? My point is that most of the tenancy terms are spelled out in law here, very little variation is allowed. Without knowing where this particular situation is playing out (And without an understanding of both the law and caselaw in there) we don't know what the situation is, she may well be acting perfectly reasonably because the law may protect her. Then again, it may be slanted entirely in the tenant's favour and without a lease she might be one paddle short when the creek turns into a river.

Even if I have a signed, witnessed and notarized contract that says my landlord can only give me 3 days notice to vacate, or can change the locks if I'm three weeks late on rent, or enter without notice for an inspection, at best he'd be fined for trying and just as likely he'd end up enjoying a local jail cell until his bail was posted (criminal trespass comes to mind)

Most of the basic terms are controlled here.

Not really, in my current lease specifically, there is absolutely nothing in the lease that gives me additional rights over what the law guarantees, nor is there anything (enforceable) that gives the landlord rights over what the law offers. The only advantage I might have from my contract is to show bad faith on the part of the landlord, since the contract attempts to add restrictions that are not legally valid.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I agree. I mentioned this to her but she doesn't listen. Like i said, it's her house, but she doesn't do things in a conventional way.{{

Do you live, by chance, in community property state?

Reply to
NotMe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.