Technique for enhanced Internet privacy whilst using P2P networks

In addition to blocklists, would it offer any additional privacy to periodically change your IP address whilst downloading files using a P2P network?

The argument for this privacy technique could be that you didn't download the entire file and that your megabyte count remains below presumed set limits for observation.

The argument against this purported privacy technique might be that the bad guys could stitch together the dozen or more IP addresses used for any one file and all would point to your incoming line.

Any ideas on whether changing the IP address on a wireless network offers additional P2P privacy protection?

Reply to
MB
Loading thread data ...

You also might want to consider changing your mac address ever few minutes as the MPIA and RIAA actually key off the mac address, not the ip address.

Reply to
seydao

Please explain how they get the mac address?

BTW: This should be good for a few laughs.

Reply to
Non scrivetemi

They read the mac encapsulation in every packet of data, that's how.

The mac protocol is used to provide the data link layer of the ip address system. The mac protocol consists of a 14 byte header before the data and a

4-byte crc after the data.

To thwart mac identification while sharing p2p, simply change your mac address every few minutes.

Reply to
seydao

BTW, if you change just your ip address, it won't do anything because the mac address gives you away. It's like changing the lock to the bathroom door to keep the burgler out. You need to change the outside door which is the mac address.

Then they can't catch you.

Reply to
seydao

As someone predicted, this was good for a few laughs. Thanks. :)

Reply to
Char Jackson

P2P networks aren't made for privacy.

What bad guys?

Download the free stuff and no bad guys will come your way.

If you want some of the commercial stuff, then buy it. If you don't want to pay the price, then don't buy it. Easy, isn't it?

But don't go download it without paying or at least don't whine about it when you get caught.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Yeah, and piss off the admin running the router. Yes, you 'can' do this but many low-end routers will not do a graceful job of managing their cache of MAC addresses and DHCP leases...

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Wireless you say?

64 or 128 bit encryption?

Tkip perhaps .......... or you using a classic isp provided b.o.s ??

I would be more worried about someone using my wireless without my knowledge to download stuff and watch me do online banking.

Reply to
Trespasser

Some are now. See gnunet, for one. My Internet connection is too slow for it to work well there; I'd like to try it over wireless networks sometime.

It's not quite that cut & dry. Copyright isn't the only issue to consider. Frequently location, in which country one resides in, matters as well. Write a paper critical of the gov, a fictional story involving your school being attacked by zombies, upload a naked picture of yourself that youself took, or depict a religious figure in a cartoon: all these are references to real incidents involving up/download of files/content in which someone either faced or is facing serious prison time or even death.

Especially if they do one of the things listed above and you get the blame for it.

Reply to
jayjwa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.