Tech: Weird linksys wireless problem

My brother informs me yesterday evening that our router (WRT54G) isn't sending a wireless signal. We can see other wireless signals in the neighborhood, but not ours. So, I reset the router with the button on the back, power it off etc, and our router still isn't sending a wireless signal. So, I figure the router crapped out. I head to Best Buy and buy the same router. I install it, and to my surprise we STILL don't have a wireless signal. It doesn't matter if it's a secured, or unsecured settings. No wireless signal even with the new router.

What and the hell is going on? I can plug directly to the routers and they work fine. What are the odds that I got a defective router with the same problem?

Thanks Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a
Loading thread data ...

Do you have your settings *set* to "broadcast" your signal? Is that what you're talking about? Your brother is somewhere else and can't pick up your signal? bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Yeah that was turned on.

Problem has been fixed. Not that it was ever broken. I had forgotten we have a 2.4ghz television transmitter as well as the 2.4ghz router, and having the router on the default channel 6, conflicts with the tv transmitter not allowing the router to transmit a signal. But as soon as I changed the router to channel 10 or 11 everything is as it should be.

Not sure on how it got to channel 6 in the first place. I did notice it before I reset it to factory settings. I did a firmware upgrade as well, so we'll see if that helps/hurts.

Now I have a spare router :(.

Thanks Chas

Reply to
m6onz5a

Glad you resolved it! It's a shame about the extra router. Maybe you can sell it to a friend or neighbor. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.