system intrusion through the internet/wireless internet and computer protection

I am very new to networking stuff, and I want to setup LAN at home. I worry about computer security. For example, if my home machines are connected to the internet, is it possible that hackers can get in my machine's file directories through the internet? I know it is possible, it matters how easy they can do it.

In what situations they can do that, normally they should not able to do that, unless they install some spyware inside the machine, is that correct concept? and what we should do to protect our machines? If I setup firewall and anti-virus, it that good enough?

If my home has wireless setup, will the system intrusion more easier?

please advise. thanks!!

Reply to
jrefactors
Loading thread data ...

Here are four types of important protection for every Internet-connected computer:

1. A firewall, to block access by Internet hackers. Windows XP has a built-in firewall: Service Pack 2 has Windows Firewall, and earlier versions have Internet Connection Firewall. A typical home broadband router also acts as a firewall. I recommend using both a router and Windows Firewall.
  2. Antivirus program.

1. Automatic Windows Update to get patches from Microsoft. If your XP machines don't have Service Pack 2 yet, install it.

2. Antispyware program. Microsoft Antispyware, even though it's still a beta (test) program, is one of the best. Others include Ad-Aware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy.

With a wireless setup, enable the highest level of security that your equipment supports. From most secure to least secure: WPA2, WPA, WEP.

Reply to
Steve Winograd [MVP]

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126505560.788055.113410 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I'll assume you're using Win XP on some of the machines.

There is also a link for Win 2K too by the same people.

formatting link
Take note on using a router instead of ICS, get rid of the Everyone and use Authenticated User group on shares, along with other security tips.

formatting link
You should get a NAT router a wire/wireless AP NAT router that has logging so you can use something like Wallwatcher so you can view traffic to from the router in real time. You may spot malware traffic to dubious IP(s) that have circumvented detection software such as AV(s), personal firewalls and other such programs running with the O/S.
formatting link
If you're using Win 9's or ME then you can password protect the share, other than that, there is nothing you can do to protect those O/S(s) in a LAN situation.

formatting link
Don't depend upon detection software like a crutch and look around on the machines from time to time for yoorself with other tools like Process Explorer, TCPview, Active Ports, etc.

Long version

formatting link
Short version

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Any computer network is vulnerable to intrusion and other malicious activity. You need layered defense on all networks.

On a WiFi network, you need still more defense.

Reply to
Chuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.