symptoms of wireless dying?

Hi, I have a Presario laptop with built in wi-fi (54g 802.11b/g WLAN) More & more frequently I am getting a dialogue box popping up from the wireless icon, telling it has successfully connected. Given I do nothing I find this odd. I wonder is this a sign of anything since from time to time it WILL disconnect and I can't See my router for ages, even after refreshing or even rebooting. IT just seems to re-connect at random. help?

Reply to
fornewsgroups
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you have a great case for trying a new wireless adapter to see if the problem goes away.

Reply to
Todd H.

thanks, so that is hardware then, yes? Expensive? Hard to install in a laptop?

Reply to
fornewsgroups

Yes. No. No.

Respectively. The internal wireless module in that machine could e replaced as well. If it's in warranty you might have to prove your case to the support yahoos to get them to send you a new module, but I have just recently had such a thing happen with a Dell.

Otherwise, popping a wireless adapter into the USB port and completely disabling the internal wireless card is also relatively simple to try.

Reply to
Todd H.

Reply to
fornewsgroups

Local interference messing with your signal?

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca hath wroth:

Wireless is not dying. Something like 260 million wireless chipsets were sold last year, with no end in sight. I predict a long and successful life for wireless (unless the FCC or Congress screws it up).

Does the Presario have a model number? Any clue who's radio is inside?

It's trying to tell you something. Most likely, it's interference from another Wi-Fi system on the same or adjacent channels. You might want to try resetting your unspecified wireless router to a different channel (1, 6, or 11) and see if it helps. It might also be a marginally weak signal, or poor signal to noise ratio (signal quality). If these are a problem, a better antenna or reflector might help:

Your Presario does not require your permission to complain. It will do so whether you do something or not. Try to get used to the idea that the computer has a mind of its own and will do things without your participation. Given sufficient technology and progress, it may eventually run your life for you.

Taking a refreshing shower or bath will not help your see your router. I should point out that you can see your router without an appointment or permission from your Presario. If you haven't seen it for ages, it might be misplaced or stolen. If it disconnects itself and walks away, it's a sure sign that it fails to appreciate your presence. A wireless psychologist might be in order as I suspect a compatibility problem.

I've heard that complaint about IT (information technology) people. They certainly are unpredictable and random. Do you work in IT?

Change channel (1, 6, or 11). Check signal strength and signal quality. Look for interference. Use Netstumbler or Kismet to sniff for other users. See FAQ for possible sources of interference:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK, NOW I am having trouble sending attachments and some pages take for ever to open (for example

formatting link
while others will open with little issue (for example
formatting link

MY IP can find nothing wrong.

I thought perhaps it was my wireless card, but when I am out I can hook up at any coffee shop providing wireless.

I have reset my router several times as well as power cycled.

Any idea's before I go crazy?

Reply to
Discoduck

On 5 Apr 2007 09:29:06 -0700, "Discoduck" wrote in :

Run long ping tests (to your wireless router, gateway, DNS server, and/or the remote site) to see if you have a packet loss problem; e.g., "ping -n 100

formatting link
" If so, use traceroute ("tracert" in Windowsland) to pinpoint it.

Reply to
John Navas

"Discoduck" hath wroth:

Google is appearing quickly because it's coming from your browser cache. Web pages that use CMS (content management system) such StockHouse are different each time and need to come from their web server.

I think you mean your ISP. It would be nice to know who that is so I can determine if you're on DSL, cable, satellite, fiber, or two tin cans and a string.

C:\\>ping

formatting link
Pinging stockhouse.com [199.175.179.210] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 66.119.164.254: Destination net unreachable. Reply from 66.119.164.254: Destination net unreachable. Request timed out. Reply from 66.119.164.254: Destination net unreachable. Ping statistics for 199.175.179.210: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

So much for Stockhouse.com. Find another web site that takes forever and try ping and tracert as John suggested. It will tell you where the bottleneck is located.

It might also be local on your machine. Walk over to your unspecified router and look at the lights. Is the WAN light flashing all the time? If so, then you have some traffic being generated that is slowing things down. It could be anything from a Windoze update being downloaded, to an evil hacker that has hijacked your system and is using it as a spambot.

It might be your wireless card. If that's what you suspect, plug an ethernet cable between your unspecified computah and the unspecified router, and see if that fixes the problem. If that works, then troubleshoot the wireless.

If you reset it, then you probably don't have any wireless security. It might be your neighbors 13 year old wiz-kid and his wireless exploit robot.

No. My ideas usually work best after you've gone insane.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 11:31:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Essentially correct, although it's worth noting that Google has historically designed its standard search page for fast loading, following the lead of the original Yahoo! page. However, personalized Google search pages can take considerable time to load, and Google Mail is even worse. As in most things, it all depends.

From his headers it would seem to be Shaw.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.