switching ISP logins on same router

I am interested in a wireless router to share internet between 2 computers but have never used a router before.

My one concern is that I have two ADSL accounts with two ISPs, and need to be able to switch easily on the fly between one login and the other (just different login id/pass over same DSL phone line). Currently to change logins, I just disconnect the one then click the other network connection icon shortcut to connect.

How would I do this with a router? Doesn't a router login using its own internal preconfigured software and settings? If so, is there a way to enter two logins and switch between them (and are some routers easier than others?)?

Reply to
k.korsch
Loading thread data ...

Why do you (think you) need to do this? Usually the router stays connected to one PPPoE account forever.

You can always change it in the router's configuration pages (where you set it up in the first place), but there's very little need for any kind of dynamic switching, so you are unlikely to find exactly what you want.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Your best bet may be to use PPPoE software on each PC, rather than using the router for PPPoE. That way the two PCs could even be logged in to different ISPs at the same time.

PPPoE makes it possible to have multiple ISPs on a single DSL connection, and there can be good reasons/necessity to use more than one ISP; e.g., a public ISP for recreational surfing of the Internet, and a work ISP run by an employer for access to the work environment. In the case of two public ISPs, it might be necessary to login to a given ISP to access internal resources.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks guys. Actually I don't ever need to have the two computers logged into different ISPs, John, I just need to be able to change ISPs and to share the current connection. I do this currently with a simple wireless ad hoc network using ICS.

What I was hoping was to get out of a router/access point was: (1) better wireless range and (2) the ability for the current client computer to access the internet independently of whether the server computer is not on. But if I cannot change the login/connection being used by the router relatively easily then I would have to find an alternative. It sounds cumbersome to manually change the router's configuration page each time as William described, which is what I feared.

Reply to
k.korsch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.