Switchiang channels and AP's???

Each channel is centered on a different frequency. However, broadcasts on a given channel are detectable on frequencies above and below those. So, broadcasts on channel 6 can also be heard on channels 5 and 7. Overall, this effect extends about 2 channels each way and channels 1, 6, and 11 are considered nonoverlapping for this reason.

In order to have clear communications between wireless devices, there should be no other wireless devices on the same channel or overlapping channels. So, if you have a neighbor whose access point is on channel 6 (that's usually default out of the box), you may experience better results if you use channels 1 and 11. The problem is seeing what channels are in use. I do not think that Windows XP has a built-in program for that, but there are such programs available elsewhere. You would need something that sees both wireless devices that broadcast their SSIDs and wireless devices that do not. Then, you would put your network on a channel that is not in use by any device whose signal comes in strong. The channel is configured on the access point.

A given access point generally only operates on one channel. All devices connected to it share the same bandwidth. Thus, things get slower the more devices use the same access point. Given that you do not want to use the same channel on access points that are close to each other, if you want to lessen the bandwidth problem, you could add a second access point on a nonoverlapping channel.

Finally, you could have the network set up perfectly, but many other devices operate at 2.4GHz (e.g., cordless phones, microwave ovens, garage door openers, etc.). Their use can interfere with devices operating on all channels.

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer
Loading thread data ...

I put up a post earlier about connecting multiple laptops wirelessly and whether or not they would affect each other, as my cordless phone disconnects my connection when I talk on it. However, I was assured that I could hook up as many connections wirelessly without affecting each other, but was recommended to set the AP to a different channel. Unfortunately, I have no idea what this means, or even how to do it. Here is a response I received: "But if you have a lot of AP's around that are on the same channel they will screw everything up even with different SSID's. That is why you always try to set your AP to a different channel than what is near you. Preferably using channels 1,6 or 11. Do a search for nearby AP's and figure out which channel is strongest and use another channel at least 5 channels awayfrom that for best performance. Can anybody help??? Thanks

Reply to
Jeff

You could have just continued with the earlier thread. :)

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.