Sweex LC000070 = cheap AP?

I want to use a Sweex LC000070 (wireless router) as a wireless adapter because it's low price.

How do I configure the Sweex to get internet access on my PC via a Wap11?

The Wap11 is configures as AP and 128 bit encryption is enabled.

My configuration:

MODEMWAP11SWEEXPC

Laptop

Reply to
Wim
Loading thread data ...

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 19:25:23 +0100, "Wim" wrote in :

Most wireless routers cannot be used as a wireless Ethernet adapter (which is what you want to do). Check the documentation for your device.

Reply to
John Navas

"John Navas" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Laptop

It has a build in AP en bridge so it must be possible, but the manual is crap, no wizzard or steps to do at all.

Reply to
Wim

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:54:26 +0100, "Wim" wrote in :

The access point (AP) built into most low-end wireless routers works in infrastructure mode only as a *host*, not as a *client* (which is what you want) -- you either need a "wireless Ethernet [client] bridge" or a wireless router that can be configured that way.

Reply to
John Navas

Incorrect, he does not need to follow your advice. He has a Sweex LC000070 and it can be used as a client in WDS mode. See page 26 of the manual.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:26:51 GMT, decaturtxcowboy wrote in :

Actually correct. The OP wants to use the Sweex as a wireless client

*adapter* with a *wired* connection to the PC.

Or yours either, for that matter. ;)

WDS mode isn't what the OP wants. It's also not a panacea -- hard to set up, probably less secure (no WPA), and much slower.

Next time read more carefully, check your "facts", and try not to let your animosity get in the way of accuracy. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

WDS may work only between 2 Sweex LC000070 devices

formatting link

Reply to
Wim

formatting link

My error...I thought he had TWO Sweex units.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Right - this has me confused. There's so much conflicting info on whether WPA can be used with WDS that's I'm finding it hard to find out what the "truth" is. I've been using the WDS functionality in this router (x2-AP/WDS Repeater) for a while now with WPA enabled so I therefore "assumed" (think I would have learned by now not to assume anything) that WPA/WDS (between the AP/Repeater) does indeed work. However, after having read a bit, I'm now not sure whether or not the traffic being passed between the two is being WPA encrypted even though both AP?Repeater are set to allow WPA connections only with a very strong passphrase.. I'm assuming (there I go again) that any clients that succesfully associate to either router individually will do so via WPA. Q-Anyone know of any way I can sniff the traffic between the AP/Repeater and tell what kind of encryption is being used ?

Reply to
Steve Berry

"John Navas" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Laptop

Well, I suppose the Wap54g is the cheapest alternative.

Reply to
Wim

My router (DGL 4300) tells me categorically that WDS and WPA are incompatible.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.