Sveasoft Client mode ?

I've installed some 3rd party firmware on one of my WRT54G Routers and was wondering if anyone is using one in Client mode. I was hoping tha tI could use it like a wireless PCI card but haven't been able to get it to work that way yet. So far I'm only able to connect it to a singal router at my house. Is it possible to have the router in client more tell me which SSID's are available and what the signal strength is just as you would with a laptop or other PCI card? Or can I only configure it for a single wireless router connection?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Reply to
HotRod
Loading thread data ...

Using the dd-wrt firmaware you can put it in client bridge mode. On the wireless status page you can have it search for wireless networks and when it reports back you simply click connect and it joins the network (as long as the security settings are right) I've never used Sveasoft, but dd-wrt should do what you want (I am using it that way right now to connect 3 computers to the net via 1 wifi connection).

Reply to
Bryant Smith

Well I managed to upgrade one of my Routers to run using the Sveasoft firmware for the WRT54G V1.0 and everyhting seemed to work fine except that the router was tied to a single SSID from my "main" Router. So I thought I'd also add on the kismet firmware so that I could select between different SSID's. This is were it gets wierd.

I can still ping the IP of my router but I can't connect to it or get a GUI using Internet Explorer. I also tried to use the TFTP command to upload the kismet .bin but could get it to work. Plus holding the reset button doesn't seem to do anything anymore. IDEAS?

I think with my other router I may try loading the dd-wrt firmware first and se how it works but thats for another day.

Reply to
HotRod

Sveasoft sucks, get dd-wrt instead.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I am not familiar with the Kismet firmware. Is it an OpenWRT variant with kismet onboard? If so, then there probably isn't a web GUI to log into. See if you can telnet into the box. If you can do telnet, then you should be able to configure it to update via tftp. When you do get tftp working (I've had the most success with linux tftp over windows tftp), then flash it with dd-wrt.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

It seems like the router is still there but not really responding to me. Instead of using the regular IP 192.168.1.1 after isntalling Sveasoft it was changed to 192.168.1.129 but after trying to upload the firmware from kismet using TFTP the IP address of my computer is 169.254.5.234 and there is no default gateway set. How can I find the new IP address of the router?

Reply to
HotRod

Bryant I've now switched a different router over to DD-WRT since the other router seems to be in brick mode. I was wondering once I put the dd-wrt into client bridge mode how where do I change the settings so that it searches for networks and informs me?

Reply to
HotRod

I think I found my answer though I was hoping that it would promp me to connect without logging into the router. I wonder if instead of connecting to the other network using my router if I should just buy a bunch of single wireless cards and high gain antennas, that way each PC user will have the option of what to conenct to.

Reply to
HotRod

There isn't a method of sending you information about which networks are available, but there is a page on the configuration page that will. If you go to the status tab then select wireless it should have a button to scan for wireless networks. Push that and it will report which networks are available and some statistics about them. Each network should have a button next to it that says join. If you click that button it will automatically set the client bridge SSID to that network and attempt to connect. If you security settings are correct it will then connect you to that network. Unfortunately it only allows a connection to that one network. You cannot build a list of know access points and have it automatically connect to the best available.

With regards to the bricked WR54G. If you can ping it you should be able to unbrick it without too much trouble. There are many techniques out there so with a little googling and some patience you should be able to revive it. I've bricked all my routers at one time or another and have always been able to get them back.

Reply to
Bryant Smith

The router is assigning my notebook an IP address but I can't find the IP address of the router. IDEAS? I also ahve never got TFTP to function properly so that might be half the problem.

Reply to
HotRod

I found the page you mentioned and only have one problem with it. When I try and connect to the WEP anabled networks it says that it's connected but isn't and will not prompt for a WEP Key.

Reply to
HotRod

Hi, Ping with /t switch is useful and may end up needing JTAG calbe to get serious to unbrick the router. I did it once just for fun. There are lots of info on the 'net.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I tried using the following to de-brick the router but didn't seem to work

1) Ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.129 2) Unplug and replug in router, wait for response 3) TFTP -i put filename.bin

I jsut can't seem to get the router IP address. IDEAS?

Reply to
HotRod

Can you telnet to the router? It could be that boot_wait is not on and therefore not looking to be programmed by tftp. If you can telnet into the router try to turn on boot wait.

Here are the commands to enable boot_wait:

telnet into the bricked router:

nvram set boot_wait=on nvram commit

reboot and attempt tftp

Reply to
Bryant Smith

BUT how do I find the router IP?

Reply to
HotRod

Have you tried the default IP? It think the Linksys default is

192.168.0.1, but I could be wrong. Also try 192.168.1.1. In a prevous post I thought you mentioned that you could still ping it. If you a ping sweep utility like nmap on linux, you could search for it that way. you could also hook up a sniffer like ethereal to see if it is broadcasting anything.
Reply to
Bryant Smith

I'll give these a shot tomorrow THANKS

Reply to
HotRod

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.