Sudden loss of activity on laptop

I have been using a free local hot spot for over a year with no problem. Two days ago I found that although I could access it I wasn't going anywhere. I have a good signal and it connects at 11mbps but after that nothing. I looked at status and I see packets going out but hardly any coming in, sometimes none at all. is this 'the other end' having problems or maybe something on my laptop I could adjust? No problems on dial up. Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge/terms TIA

Reply to
Ratchett
Loading thread data ...

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:39:39 +0100, Ratchett wrote in :

Check with the operator of the hotspot.

Reply to
John Navas

I e mailed my local council but if the last mail is anything to go by I'll wait forever for an answer. trying to phone them is out of the question. hence the query here. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Ratchett

Have you tried rebooting rather than letting your laptop hibernate?

Reply to
Peter Pan

I always turn off the laptop after each 'session' so it gets rebooted a few times a day. Tried turning off firewall and did a system restore to a few days before it stopped working, all to no avail.

Reply to
Ratchett

Just wondering if you did the typical shut the lid rather than a reboot (rebooting usually clears the caches)... Happen to try it on any other hotspots? If it works on others but not on that one, I would suspect that specific hotspot itself... Don't know where you are, but can you go by a place that has paid wireless (like many mcd's, motels, flying j's, airports, etc) and at least see a splash screen? (splash screen = beg for money screen/or at least subscribe)... Obviously don't pay anything, just see if it works on another hotspot.. Should narrow down if it is your computer or the hotspots....

Reply to
Peter Pan

I went to the top of the street and found two unsecured open ones, I couldn't connect to one but easily connected to the other, checked my mail was working then got off, hopefully they won't mind! I guess it must be therefore the "other end" and there is nothing I can do. Maybe the council will have it working again soon, this dial up now seems so slow and I can't get to some things that I've gotten used to watching, tv etc. won't work. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Ratchett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.