Substitute for Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP?

Anyone have a suggestion for a 'workalike' for the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP wireless ethernet adapter? (I think that this is a 'wireless bridge', but I'm somewhat of a network cripple.)

I'm having great success using one to get broadband internet from a wireless router (Buffalo WHR-HP-G54) that's about 900 feet away. Now one of my neighbors needs to do the same thing but Buffalo products seem to be hard to get due to a lawsuit.

Any replacement needs to duplicate the Buffalo's functions: high power, an antenna to which he can add a simple parabolic or corner reflector, & simple setup that doesn't require loading new firmware.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie
Loading thread data ...

I'm using a WRT54G running dd-wrt in client-bridge mode. DHCP doesn't work; other than that it's fine.

formatting link

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

I'm aware that dd-wrt is supposed to work, but remember that this is the network cripple leading the network brain dead.

I really need something as close to plug-n-play as possible.

Thanks,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Take a look at this Linksys Bridge, WET200. I think it does what you want.

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

Okay. I'll keep the $72, thanks :)

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Charlie hath wroth:

See list of some wireless bridges and game adapters in the FAQ at:

The one's that can handle more than one machine behind the bridge are inscribed with "multi". Many are access points that have a "client bridge" mode. The list does not cover all possible wireless client bridges.

The WHR-HP-G54 was my favorite. I haven't found a suitable replacement.

One possibility is a "wireless workgroup bridge". See Cisco FAQ at:

for how it works. I've used a AIR-WGB352R-A-K9 but there are others.

I've had very limited experience using a WGB352 in this manner and cannot be sure they will meet your requirements. However, they're cheap enough (used on eBay) that you can try one and see for yourself.

3com also makes a wireless workgroup bridge. 3CRWE675075 and 3CRWE83096A.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.