Sub-Dividing Access on a Single Wireless Network

Hi

Forgive the phrasing, wireless networking is something of a new thing for me...

I've been asked to set up a wirless network with two distinct levels of access.

The first will be for visitors. They will be asked to log in using a key we designate and upon access, will only have access to the internet.

The second will be for staff. They will connect, also via a security key, and have access to all objects on the domain (printers, servers etc.)

Can I get some suggestions regarding...

a) number of access points and/or routers that would be needed (average number of guest connections would be 10, average number of user connections would be 50). My preference would be to have a little in the way of gear as possible b) recommendations for configuration (sub-nets tied to specific switches, NAT or something else) c) recommendations for hardware (CISCO, 3COM...bridge vs router etc.)

Any and all advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Tech Chef
Loading thread data ...

Get two different sets of APs (or APs with dual SSID capability), one for internal use and one for "public" use.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Davies

Thanks Chris. This will form a basis for a more defined search as I look into my options

Reply to
Tech Chef

On 19 Nov 2006 19:01:09 -0800, "Tech Chef" wrote in :

SonicWALL TZ150 Wireless and TZ170 Wireless are designed to do just what you want and need. Highly recommended.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.