Strengths of WEP

could someone give me references to any good websites with a good amount of information on the Strengths of WEP.

(could also be technical)

a simple google search didn't do it for me. maybe you guys know of some school websites or other websites with some info.

thanks.

Reply to
mahurshi
Loading thread data ...

Precisely what did you use for a google search phrase? WEP isn't strong security so if you were searching on "wep strength" then you'll be a bit out of luck, on the other hand if you search on:-

"WEP WEAKNESS"

You'll find all you need.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

See the FAQ below.

Reply to
John Navas

I am trying to do some research for a class on the strengths and weaknesses of WEP. I already wrote the weaknesses part. The thing is that IEEE papers and the stuff online usually talk about weaknesses more than strengths. And the stuff that is there is about "modifying" WEP to enhance the strengths (which is not really what I am looking for). i am just looking for the strenghts of the current WEP protocol.

I have used several google phrases "wep strengths" "strengths of wep" "advantages of wep" etc etc but I could not really find anything useful even though the terms showed up on the results.

It'd be great if someone could help me with any links/references if they know of any from previous experiences.

thanks.

Reply to
mahurshi

There aren't any, move on.

Why do you think you're finding plenty on weaknesses, why do you think other protocols have superceded WEP.

Kind of like asking what are the strengths of a piece of stickytape to secure your front door.

The only useful feature of WEP is to prevent people from casually connecting to your AP but understand that this is probably better described as a feature these days and NOT a strength of the protocol. The protocol is weak.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Can't provide links, but based on your research on the subject, the basic conclusion you should be arriving at is: Strengths of WEP: better then nothing - but not much

It is like the old hook style latch on your grandfather's back screen door, slows down the casual pull, even stops the wind from blowing the door open, but once you lean on it...

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.