Strange wireless issue .....pls help

Strange wireless issue .....pls help

1. I have a reasonably new laptop that came with a 802.11b/g and IEEE

1394, Win XP etc.

In addition, we have a Netgear wireless Router with Comcast Motorola Modem. We have comcast cable internet.

The wireless connection worked fine for many months but now all of a sudden my wireless connection to "my laptop' does not work well. It is inconsistent and sometimes just hangs.

Other wireless laptops and wireless desktops in the house get good internet connection using our network. But with my laptop, I cannot.

My signal strength says "excellent" 54. Mbps. Yet there is no or an inconsistent connection. I am in the next room to the router and modem.

1. Now ... a funny thing that happens. When I click on View Wireless Networks and choose another network in the neighborhood, I get fast internet connection...even though it says signal strength "very low".

1. Comcast checked the modem they say all is fine. They said the problem could be the wireless router.

2. So I bought a new top of the line Linksys Wireless Router..about 200 Mbps. The problem is still the same ...sometimes I get kicked out of my wireless network and get connected to some other...all this automatically.

I have disabled and enabled the wireless network on my laptop, turned off and on the router and modem etc ...but nothing has helped.

If the problem was with my laptop, then how do I get good internet connection using someone else's network ? I do not want to rely on other people's network.

Can anyone pls help me.

I am not technical.

Thanks in advance, Kim

Reply to
kimshapiro100
Loading thread data ...

Kim, sounds like you have a very 'busy' location for networks. I'd suggest that you enable security and WEP/WPA so that you can only connect to your home network. it may be possible if you're not using security, that a neighbor's machine is stealing your connection.

It's possible you have too 'HOT' a signal from your laptop. Do you have the same prob when you are at a further distance from your router/modem?

lee

Reply to
lee_houston
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Make sure you have set a *unique* SSID (e.g., "KimNet") in your wireless router.

Reply to
John Navas

Since it appears there are other routers nearby, they could be "stepping on each other", try changing the channel, routers default to channel 6, change yours to either 1 or 11.

ken

Reply to
ken
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Some routers default to 11; some others default to 1.

Also try the overlapping channels, since that can sometimes give the best results, as when 1, 6, and 11 are all occupied.

Reply to
John Navas

John, Thanks for the info. The only routers I had worked with (so far) defaulted to 6 so I wasn't aware that some defaulted to other channels. ken

Reply to
ken

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.