Strange problem with Dlink DI-524

I installed a DI-524 (Rev D1, firmware 4.0) behind a Motorola SB5100 cable modem. For the time being I left everything at default (DHCP WAN, DHCP LAN, wireless on, SSID broadcast, no wireless security).

Everything worked fine for about a day. Then the router locked up. There was no wireless signal, and the desktop connected via LAN 1 could not access the internet, ping the router, or open the web interface. All 4 LAN lights on the front panel were lit solid. After several power recycles and resets, I was able to access the the "crash recovery" login screen, and after two attempts at flashing the firmware I got the router working again.

I've been using Dlinks for years, and I've never seen this before. However, I thought it best to swap out this router for another, so I put a brand new DI-524 in its place (same rev and firmware). And just like the first one, this router worked fine for about one day. The owner of the router called me a little while ago and told me the exact same thing has happened again.

I'm going out tomorrow to have a look, but I wanted to ask the knowledgeable folks here what might be going on?

Please let me know what important info I've left out.

thank you,

jm

Reply to
JM
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.