strange modem/router problem - help

help,

Windows xp, personal home computer with standard TW rca cable modem and netgear wgr614 wireless router keeps going dead. All was fine when the internet went out on my inlaws computer. His laptop also lost it's internet connection to the netgear wireless router (though it still saw the modem, it would not connect to the internet). Reset modem, didn't help. Simply connected the modem and bypassed the router, Didn't help. Called the isp who did a bunch of stuff through the line and the modem worked. reconnected the router and all was fine... for about an hour. Then all internet was lost again. I hooked up just the modem and it worked for an hour and then it stopped again. I got a new modem from his isp and did not hook up the router. It seemed to work fine for 2 straight days. Rehooked up the router and in an hour or so the internet was lost again. Replaced the router with the same model and it works... for an hour and then dies again.

New modem and new router but the same problem. What's my next step? If it's his ethernet card I would think that the wireless internet should still work with a laptop... but the laptop dies right along with the main computer. Usually resetting the router works for about an hour but then it goes bad. This same setup was working perfect for over a year. I'm far from an expert on these cable modem/router setups but I've never had a problem before this. Can TW Cable be sending something through the lines to mess us so we rent their wireless router? Can cables be going bad? Could the ethernet card be sending something out to the router to disable it that resetting temporarily fixes? This happens even with no security wep/wpa at all. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks yks

Reply to
yksmir
Loading thread data ...

What is the OS? Do you have latest firmware for the router and new driver for the NIC?

Reply to
Robert L. (MS-MVP)

What version WGR614? Look on the serial number tag. Did you update the firmware? I've had hang and crash problems with the v6 models.

Then it's NOT the router. Take the router out of the mess and just connect your XP computah to the cable modem modem. While you're at it, kindly supply the model number of the RCA cable modem. Point your browser to: http://192.168.100.1/to get to the modem diagnostics page. Grab the numbers and determine if they are acceptable and that they do NOT change when you get disconnected. Some modems don't have a built in web server, so you'll need to use a tool such as:

Since you didn't bother to supply the model number, I won't bother to check if it works with all the various RCA models.

Nice mess. You need to do some monitoring and data logging to see exactly what is causing the disconnects. If a continuous record of the signal levels shows that all the levels in the modem are constant, within the correct range, and with good margin, then it's probably not the cable modem or the wiring. I've seen similar incomprehensible problems caused by rotten connector crimps and ingres (RF interference from outside the cable).

Well, think about it. Everything worked in the old location, but not in the new. What changed? It's not the modem or the router. Look at the wiring, installation, and RF environment at the new location. Look for flakey line amplifiers, bad connections, rotten coax, defective splitters, insufficient bandwidth splitters, direcional couplers installed backwards, and staples in the coax. In other words, it might be your installation.

Since you're always testing with one PC, it might be useful to try testing with a different PC. It would be rather embarassing if the problem were caused by your test PC going into standby or power save mode after 1 hour.

Ah, a clue. It's Time Warner. There's no conspiracy because it happens with just the cable modem in the line.

Oh yes.

No.

Do your testing with the minimal setup of just the modem and computer. Try disconnecting the TV's and Hi-Fi's also on the cable leaving just the cable modem. Monitor the signal level statistics in the cable modem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

original v6, new one is v9.

originally it was a different TW modem with no brand name. Now it's an rca modem. I'll have to check the number later today. Remember this problem happened with a wgr614v6 and unknown modem and now with new wgr614v9 and rca modem. All was fine for over a year. The new wgr614v9 is going back to the store soon since this prob doesn't seem to be the wgr614v6... they both do the same thing.

I never said I moved anything. The computer has been sitting in the same local and working fine for years. This happened all of a sudden.

I can try that. However most of the time it goes bad the main computer is off anyways. It's noticed when a laptop loses it's connection so we turn on the main pc and see it also has no internet.

Reply to
yksmir

I had about the same problem. After changing out the modem and getting me really mad they finally sent out a tech that knew what he was doing. He found the level coming into the house was about 3db too low. He went through all theire connections finding several corroded F connectors and replaced them. No more problem. He also showed me how to use my cable box to measure the levels. On mine it was hold down the SEL button until the green light came on and then press the down arrow. Also check around channel 160 and see how well those TV channels work. If you have dropouts the cable is bad.

Jimmie

Reply to
jimmie68

V6 sucks. No experience with v9. However, if they both act the same, it's not a WGR614 problem.

Look at the serial number label and find the FCC ID number. Then, go unto the FCC ID web page, and lookup the original manufacturer:

Ok. Then we agree. It's not the Netgear wireless router.

Sorry. I managed to mix your question with another one that I was working on.

The problem is that there's no indication as to exactly *WHERE* the "loss of connection" is happening. It's a long chain from the ISP router, to the CMTS, to your cable modem, to your router, via wireless, and finally to your computer. Each link along the chain has to be either tested individually, replaced, or simply eliminated (as in the case of the router and wireless).

Good luck. I'll bet on some kind of installation or CATV cabling issue.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sounds typical for a marginal/low signal.. They usually only guarantee a good signal to the house, not necesarrily inside, and possibly not to where you have your internet modem ie thru walls/cables/splitters/etc .. Got something closer to where the signal comes in? Did you by any chance add digital voice? (they put another splitter in the line and that makes it even worse).... Bummer is the signal may be enuf for digital cable, but not good enuf (where you locate the device at) for digital voice, internet, cable co dvr's etc... Two other hassles, water leaks/corrosion on cables, and pesky animals with teeth that like to naw on cables.

All I can say is good luck, took me 4 service calls and a few months to get mine working reliably (just to give you an idea how absurd it can be, was a cable end/connector that ONLY let water in a few hours after the rain stopped, otherwise it tested fine.... arggggggh)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.