strange lookups

Ok, this is only sort-of about wireless so I apologize in advance. I'm using ADSL through a Zoom modem and USR 8054 router. The problem is that my laptop is having a really hard time looking up names through this setup. IE, Mozilla, and Firefox all say "looking up ..." for 20 seconds or so and then give up. HOWEVER, when I type "nslookup ..." I get an immediate response and can use that ip address to browse the site. Strange huh? It does this both when I'm connected wirelessly and through an ethernet cable. The computer upstairs (also connected through the same router) is perfectly happy though. Not a single problem. The only way my laptop will work normally is if I unplug it from the router and re-plug it in (not "repair" the connection or disable and reenable it). Even then, it only works normally for a few minutes and then it's back to lookup problems. This has got to be a problem with my computer right?

Reply to
rocketman768
Loading thread data ...

Start by downloading (Google) winsockxpfix.exe. This little app repairs corrupted layered services in the TCP/IP stack and might well solve the DNS lookup problem. alt.comp.networking.routers might be a more appropriate venue.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.