Strange connectivity problems?

I have an AT&T wireless router hooked up to my Comcast cable modem, and am accessing it using my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop's Centrino card. I've never had any problems until last night, and this one is very odd to me...here are the details:

1. 7:30pm, checked email and surfed Web, no problems
  2. 7:45pm, closed lid (system standby) and took unit downstairs
  3. 7:50pm, re-opened lid, wireless card found my router but would not send/receive data (email = "mail server not found," browser "page cannot be found")
  4. Took unit back upstairs thinking I was too far from the router and it couldn't get a good signal
  5. Right next to router, same problem - wireless card connects automatically to the router, but does not send traffic through modem.
  6. Power cycled all 3 devices and reconnected in order cable modem ->

router -> laptop. Problem still present.

1. Called Comcast (ISP) - no issues on their end, checked all culprits on mine. Connected laptop direct to modem via ethernet cable, internet connection worked fine.
  2. At the time, my router was not encrypted (lazy), so I thought maybe a hijacker was causing the problem. I went into my router and reset it, including a 128-bit WEP key.
  3. Power cycled everything, wireless connection worked fine.
  4. Closed lid of laptop again - 15 minutes later I came back, same problem - wireless card connects to router, but doesn't send traffic through the modem.
  5. Plugged in ethernet cable direct to modem again, internet connection works fine.
  6. Power cycled all 3 devices again, this time wireless card found the router and sent traffic through modem just fine.
  7. Closed laptop lid again (system standby), opened it later and experienced the same problem.
  8. Power cycled router only, did not fix - still connected to the router via wireless card but no traffic through modem.

So it seems to be this intermittent loss of connectivity between the wireless router and the modem, even though they are securely connected with an ethernet cable, and it seems to only happen after I fire up my system again after going to "standby" and killing the wireless connection.

The wireless card -> router connection seems to be fine, and The modem -> ISP connection seems to be fine.

Any thoughts on what this could be? At this point I'm entertaining the following notions:

1) short circuit in the ethernet cable from router to modem? 2) wireless router is failing? 3) wireless card is failing?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
jamesmgregg68
Loading thread data ...

I would check to see if there is an upgrade to the router firmware and if so install the upgrade.

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

It's option 3, but probably not a hardware failure. Driver and/or configuration.

The common element here is going into standby, right? There are lots of cards and their drivers that have had great trouble with coming out of standby mode.

Do this, when it's working pull up a CMD prompt and type "ipconfig /all" and note the information it shows you. Put the laptop into standby, move to the other location and type ipconfig /all again. See what (if anything) is different. Then type "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew". This will release/renew the DHCP networking information. Then use ipconfig /all to show it again. See what's different.

I'm guessing it has everything to do with your laptop going to sleep and not reconnecting properly on waking back up.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for your replies on this, very helpful! I upgraded the firmware on my router, didn't help.

More information:

It's also not working on my girlfriend's wireless network at her house

35 miles away from my own (just so no one thinks we share a network LOL) I'm there now, and I just restarted my laptop and connected. I checked my email, then walked away for 5 minutes. When I came back, it hadn't gone into standby yet (I left the lid open on purpose) yet the connection was dead. I just restarted AGAIN, and I'm online as we speak (of course, by time time I finish this message it may be dead again and I'll have to retry!)

So, now I'm inclined to believe it's: a) The wireless card's drivers and/or config b) Firewall or other software, possibly virus

The th> > Any thoughts on what this could be?

Reply to
jamesmgregg68

Just an update on this...

It turned out to be the free AOL Anti-Virus Shield software that was acting as some sort of firewall. When I disabled the "always on" feature of AVS, now my wireless works perfectly all the time, and when I turn on AVS and leave it running, my connection drops sporadically and requires reboot to work again.

Thanks for all the help!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
jamesmgregg68

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.