Still WRT54G probs

To recap:), got Winbook laptop 1st floor, desktop and WRT54G on 3rd floor. Works OK mostly...better since SSID changed, in case local similar router(s) were interfering on same default SSID.

Over a day, or sometimes in short time, Speed varies from 5.5 Mb to

50+ Mb, and Signal Strength varies from Very Low to Very Good. Slow/Fast does not necessarily correlate with Low/Good...I can get slow/good or fast/low.

And it drops, or comes on unconnected, at various and unpredictable times, tho it seems to happen most often, say, 5-7 PM. A techie once told me that was due to closing businesses turning on alarms, but this is a residential neighborhood...there are a few oold small stores

2-3 blocks away, not much else.

I don't know to blame the router or the laptop wireless card/software or the relative location/antenna orientation/whatever.

I wouldn't normally suspect the laptop, but: an hour ago I restarted the laptop, which had been connected before that, and it came on with no connection. Restarted twice more - same result. Bur right-click the TV icon in system tray -> View Available Networks showed window titled Wireless Network Connection, with a little bar graph at top right saying (when you point at it) "Signal Strength:Very Good...when it won't even connect!! Could it be the computer, not router or other reason?

I don't know where to go, and gotta do it this summer, as laptop and router are under warrenty til early Sept. Ideas? Thanks,

-Brad

Reply to
avalanche
Loading thread data ...

First, make sure that you are also using encryption (and change the default password of the router, if you did not do so). The lack thereof could allow other people onto your network and might lead to a slowdown in transfer speeds.

Second, the antennas of the WRT54G radiate in a donut-shaped pattern. You mentioned that your antennas are horizontal. Are they also parallel? The WRT54G will occasionally shift between the antennas. If they are not parallel, it may be that one orientation works better when communicating with your computer.

Finally, interference can also be a major problem. Many wireless devices operate at 2.4GHz, including microwave ovens and cordless phones. In addition, wireless routers that operate at 2.4GHz but do not use 802.11b/g can also be a problem (e.g., those that use two channels simultaneously to double the throughput without caring for other devices on those channels). I had issues with my WRT54G in an environment where there were around 6 to 8 other visible routers. Switching to channel 8 solved that (other devices were at the usual 1, 6, and 11; sure, there's some overlap between 8 and

6/11 but things now work well at To recap:), got Winbook laptop 1st floor, desktop and WRT54G on 3rd
Reply to
Yves Konigshofer

Have you tried different channels? Out of box the router was set for channel 6. Try 11. Then try 1. It's not unusual for the speed to change throughout the day. See some of Jeff's posts on this issue. (search these posts for the word "reflection") Another Jeff tip is to set the speed at the router setup to something like 6Mb. Live with it like that for a day or so. See if things are more stable. Your internet connection will not suffer at this setting. When you view available networks when you are NOT connected... do you see YOUR network? Does it show YOUR SSID? What happens when you click CONNECT from this window? Did you get Netstumbler and look for other nearby wireless networks?

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.