Static Route to Access Modem Config?

Hi Folks,

I have got a problem accessing the setup pages of my modem from behind my router. My modem is in bridge mode. I could access the setup pages when it was in half bridge ok.

Anyway, my setup looks like this:

ISP-------Modem--------Router--------------PC ISP---192.168.0.1---192.168.1.1---192.168.1.100

Again the modem is in bridge mode with DHCP turned on. Its a Dlink

302G.

The router does the login via PPPoE and has DHCP turned on. Its a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT v24.

I tried setting up a static route with:

Target IP Net: 192.168.0.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0 Interface: WAN

My modem is plugged into the WAN port.

If I plug my modem into my PC directly I can see that the gateway is indeed 192.168.0.1.

Why is this not working????

I am not sure that there is much I can do to try and isolate where its failing?

Any help or suggestion appreciate.

-Al

Reply to
BigAl.NZ
Loading thread data ...

The modem is not a modem. It is a "router" and modem built into the same box. The bridging mode simply tries to nullify the "router" componenet (a.k.a. remove Layer 3&4 abilites and run only Layers 1&2). A "straight" modem has no such thing as a bridging mode because it only operates at Layers 1&2 in the first place.

My advice is to "forget it".

Choose one:

1. Get rid of the bridging mode and run the "modem" with full abilities (modem/router) and get rid of the DLink box.

or

1. Get rid of that thing and buy a "straight" modem and use it in combination with the DLink.

I recommend #2.

Reply to
Phillip Windell

The D-link box IS THE MODEM. Not exactly smart to suggest getting rid of it.

Erm, the D-link is the modem, getting another modem would help, how?

With some corrections, it's basically the only choice. What he should keep is the LINKSYS unit, not the D-link one.

Most DSL services are compatible. I've swapped out several over the years. Westell units lasted the longest. Get one of those and plug it into the DSL telephone line. Then plug the WRT54G into the ethernet port on it. That's the most common DSL setup, and what I've used for years.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

What's your problem?? So I got a few brand names turned around! We are still both telling him to do exactly the same thing!

Reply to
Phillip Windell

Bill is very correct. Just switch the DSL modem to bridge mode and let your Linksys or whatever router do the routing. I do know that you have to turn off the Westell DHCP server in bridge mode.

Its done all the time.

Reply to
DTC

The modem is in bridge mode (see my first post).

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

The modem/router only has one ethernet port (I need more than one, hence the router) so getting rid of the router is not an option.

What is a "straight modem"? All the modems that I have seen here in NZ have a ethernet port to connect to the computer and have DHCP. I have never seen a modem without it.

Incidentially I have got the following script to work and allows me to access the modem config pages from behind the router:

formatting link

-Al

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

If it's in bridge mode then it would just pass ethernet packets to the router and would not be running DHCP, nor would it need to be accessed via TCP.

The westell unit I'm currently using is pretty 'dumb'. It can be accessed via TCP but in general practice there's no point in doing that. It's a set-and-forget kind of box. I don't know that the D-Link can be configured to act in as basic a manner.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The only reason I need to access the Dlink is I have been having a bit of line trouble and its nice to be able to keep an eye on the line stats.

Anyway it seems sorted now....

Reply to
BigAl.NZ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.