StandBy sometimes breaks DNS (XP)

Thanks to John Navas for his previous help with this issue:

Losing connection (Computer->Wireless->Router->DSLmodem)

formatting link
I removed the SBC Yahoo DSL software and things seem better. I still sometimes have a problem when my notebook returns from StandBy. It looks to me like it's some issue with either XP (most likely) or the router no longer having the ability to do correct DNS resolutions. Here are the details:

- I can get to my router (since I use the IP addr); it seems to be able to ping and trace all addresses using either IP addr or host/domainname

- FireFox and cmd line (ping, ftp) won't let me get to anything unless I use the IP addr

- today I tried for 30 mins to fix it before rebooting (and then things worked fine again)

Here's what I tried (some multiple times):

ipconfig /all, /renew, /refresh, /displaydns, /flushdns, /registerdns nslookup nbtstat -R

I also tried going into the network properties and entering the IP addr for dns.sbcglobal.net as the DNS server (and refreshing everything) but it still wouldn't work.

I wonder if it is related to either of these:

How Internet Explorer uses the cache for DNS host entries

formatting link
How to Disable Client-Side DNS Caching in Windows XP (and 2003)
formatting link
(I would have tried the cmds in the second one but I couldn't access the article while it was broken.)

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

Reply to
sdaws06
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

I doubt that XP has anything to do with it, as I have awoken my laptop out of standby mode countless number of times using XP with either a NAT router wireless or FW appliance wired with no problems, ever. It has to be something else some software that you have on the machine like a personal FW maybe or some other kind of software mis-configuration happening.

If you put that machine on a wire connection and it's not happening there, then it's not XP.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

formatting link
>

Yes - but USB modems / ADSL links often do not like standby mode and do not recover well, since the ADSL link is often driven as if it was dialup, and the modem and network get out of sync.

you might be able to reset the modem once your PC is back up, or disconnect / reconnect.

A router would be a good fix - or dont use standby.

Reply to
stephen

It might be the firewall or some other component but I'm not sure how those get into a state of allowing IP addrs and not names. We have another computer that's also wirelessly connected to the router and it doesn't ever have this issue (it doesn't go into standby though since it's a desktop). I think it might have something to do with the length of time that I don't connect since not all StandBy's cause the problem. Sometimes ipconfig /renew & /refresh fixes it, sometimes using the routers diagnostics (ping/traceroute) gets things working again, sometimes FixDHCP script works.

I don't think it would happen there but I haven't plugged it in for quite a while. The problems seemed to start happening after I switched from another DSL provider to Yahoo SBC (but they're no help).

Reply to
sdaws06

I think this is a possibility. I've seen this mentioned before and the suggestion was to delete all other connections (dialup, etc). I have a couple old ones leftover so I could try that.

I used to have the problem (last year) where the wireless device (AirLink+ USB) wouldn't properly wakeup when returning from StandBy but once I moved that from the built-in USB plug to a USB 2.0 pcmcia card, I no longer had that issue. In that case, the device was completely inaccessible - currently it seems to be working fine - I just can't use names sometimes after StandBy.

I do have a router. That might be part of the problem.

Reply to
sdaws06

formatting link
>

I had the same problem. It was an XP problem. Disabling client-side DNS caching fixed it. I simply disabled the DNS Client service.

Jeff is the guy who solved the problem for me.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

formatting link
>>

Reply to
sdaws06

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.