Standalone WAP vs. Router configured as WAP

Thanks in advance for any information.

Several companies offer both wireless routers that can be configured as access pionts and standalone wireless access points. In the examples I've seen, the comparable standalone is more expensive than the router.

If one is looking only for the function of a WAP (and regardless of the price differential), is there any advantage to using a standalone rather than a router?

Why are standalones more expensive than routers? From my ignorant perspective, it seems like routers "do more" and I don't understand why they're less expensive.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

Market forces. Supply and demand. More people want routers, thus driving up the unit sales and decreasing the price (along with competition from other vendors). Access points, however, aren't sold in nearly the same numbers. A smart customer would know to get a router that can 'dummy down' and save a few bucks in the process.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Charles Arnett

That's interesting. I have a standalone WAP connected to a wired router. I thought the range should be better (for range) than a wireless router configured as a WAP, but I wasn't sure. The other reponse implies (I think) that they are the same relative to range.

The choices I'm c>I found that standalone WAP put into a regular router increases range. >charles

Reply to
Bill

Given the same maker, same product line and same year, it's gonna be the same radio inside and probably the same antenna outside.

The WAP just has less flexibility, but this will save some people the trouble of sorting that out, so they buy it. Marketing.

Get the Linksys WRT54GL. It's a decent one and you will be able to use it for various purposes, not just WAP. You never know. Best of all, it will run DD-WRT replacement firmware. Very useful.

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.