SSID us_border_patrol_sw_r7_a4

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View
A few months before the election last year I set the outdoor long range WAP to the longest range, 30 kilometers, 18.6 miles, and set the SSID to us_border_patrol_sw_r7_a4, in the evening before midnight I turned it on. My immigrant neighbor about 400 feet away would jump into his loud P-cup and by the time he got halfway to my house I would already have the SSID turned off. It wasn't long before they moved. I feel a little bit bad about it, but not a lot.

Since Trump won I've turned it on full power between 2am and 5am for no longer than 3 minutes every once in a while, so that when someone wakes up in the morning, turns on their phone it will likely show the SSID as a new Wi-Fi network.  

I wonder how many illegals think they might get picked up when they see that?

If you're a liberal you probably hate me, if you're a Republican, high five.

Re: SSID us_border_patrol_sw_r7_a4
wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I hate anyone who is not a legitimate 100% red Indian.
Everyone else is an "immigrant".
    So attaboy, go scare those white trash invaders. Or black,
Latino, Asian, whatever.
    []'s
--  
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy  - Google 2012

Per mysterious traveler:

How about a make/model?

I never considered that there might be higher-powered WAPs... and I am
thinking that something like that could be tweaked to cover my whole
house.
--  
Pete Cresswell

Mine covers the whole house and it's usually set on 6 mile range, and sometimes less, unless I want to broadcast that SSID and scare people.

It's an EnGenius ENS202 from Amazon, with free shipping. This is an older model and the price has gone down to $49.89. The newer ones have more bells and whistles, if you know what I mean, but I'm happy with mine.

When I'm not trying to scare people my SSID is hidden, you have four different SSID's with individual passwords, and can choose which are hidden, so people driving by, or your neighbors don't even realize you have wireless internet.

It can scan for other wireless internet in your area, and there are several fairly close that have no security. I can set mine as a repeater and connect to theirs and rebroadcast their signal on my own SSID and use their internet if I want to, except doing it like that the SSID can't be hidden, but free is free, and if they were just a little closer I could do that all the time and not even pay for internet.

Mine gives me a 100% signal at the end of my ten acres. I haven't walked past that point because I'd have to cross over a fence and be on someone else's property, and I haven't felt like walking down the road.

It's directional, as I understand it, and pointed east so the strongest signal is east. I've walked west through open pasture and the signal goes fairly far, but seems to not be as strong as east.

You could connect someone with internet who live miles away if you wanted to.

Sometimes when I'm in town at a crowded store I set my phone to be a mobile hotspot with us_border_patrol_sw_r7_a4 and watch people to see if anyone notices.  

About 25 years ago a friend gave me a border patrol cap that was covered in grease and dirt. When I washed it, it looked like a new one. I would wear it in a store and when I was behind immigrants in a long line, they would decide they needed something else and would get out of line leaving me at the front if the line.

I had to set mine on 40 MHz and use AES encryption to get it to work. It puts out 135 Mbps. When I called EnGenius support they had me rename the SSID's and do some other things that weren't necessary.

Per mysterious traveler:

Thanks - I am about to pull the trigger on one, but one question:

Is yours the 2.4 or 5 GHz model?

I'm thinking that 5GHz would probably offer 802.11ac, which supports
video better.

OTOH, my experience with a plain-vanilla 5 GHz WAP has been that the
range is really poor..... OTOH, if the EnGenius product can really
deliver over the distance...

OTOOH, I see something about a directional antenna on the 5 GHz model
that isn't there on the 2.4 GHz.... and maybe directionality is how they
deliver the range at 5 GHz... and that would defeat my purpose of
covering the whole house/yard.

??
--  
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

How are things going with your hardware upgrade?

Did you go ahead and get one? 5GHz or 2.4GHz?

Mine is only a 2.4GHz.  
5GHz range is poor and even at max power I don't know if it would be very good. When I used my TpLink router I got tired of it switching between the two as I got farther from the house and set up my devices to only use 2.4GHz.

Good luck with your project.

--  
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk

Site Timeline