SSID shows up

Even with the SSID turned off on my AP it shows up on Net Stumbler. It does not show up on any of the other AP viewers I have. What is broadcast that Net Stumbler see that the others do not?

Thanks

Frank

Reply to
... -.-
Loading thread data ...

Might be a defect with NS. I changed from WEP to WPA last night and it still shows WEP encryption, despite other apps saying otherwise......

73 de -.- --. ----- .-- -..-
Reply to
Ken Bessler

You've just learned why turning off SSID broadcast is a pointless exercise and has no security value. It only makes it slightly harder for other newbies to avoid the channel that you're using.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I understand that but still what is broadcast that allows the detection of the actual SSID when its turned off?

Reply to
... -.-

Your computer running Netstumbler already knew the SSID of your wireless network. Try removing your network completely from your computer so your computer does not see your wireless network at all and can not connect. Then run Netstumbler again. My guess is that it will not see your hidden SSID.

Reply to
DanR

Mine shows the SSID of a neighbour's system and he has SSID broadcast turned off. NetStumbler shows it. Switching off SSID does stop the local idiots attempting connections.

Reply to
tony

That's because netstumbler has seen the SSID associated to the mac address before or because you are connected to this network and netstumbler gets the info from your WLAN administration program (win or specific WLAN card application).

Don't panic! There's no mystery, no magic, no deus ex machina, no malfunction... It's only networking tech.

VA (SK)

... -.- wrote:

Reply to
F8BOE

Kismet shows it too but Kismet detects the SSID from traffic.

There's no point turning off SSID broadcast. If you want to prevent the locals making connections, just configure *any* security, as I said, turning off SSID broadcast is more likely to result in neighbours using the same channel because they can't see yours and thus won't avoid it.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Possibly true. However, AFAIK the SSID is required in conversations and is so within any exchanged packets, even with SSID broadcast disabled. All that disabling broadcast does is stop the router shouting it out. Mark McIntyre

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Is there an SDK or software (free) that I can use to authenticate users prior to accessing the network via wireless?

Reply to
Benedictum

Sorry, wrong thread.

Reply to
Benedictum

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.