SSH Tunneling between Smartphone and Laptop

Recorded IP of Android smartphone. Installed but did not run Psiphon SSH+ tunnel on smartphone. Used smartphone to wirelessly tether laptop to smartphone. Recorded IP of Windows laptop. Installed but did not run Psiphon SSH+ tunnel on laptop. Ran SSH+ tunnel on smartphone, noticed a different IP displayed on it. Noticed laptop IP did not change at that time. Ran SSH+ tunnel on laptop, noticed a different IP displayed on it.

Is the laptop IP supposed to work independently of the smartphone tethering? I'm not sure why I had to install a separate SSH+ tunnel on the laptop to get SSH+ benefits.

Reply to
M.L.
Loading thread data ...

What is SSH+? I'm not entirely clear what is to be gained by SSHing into your phone, if you're right near it [ie, you have control over both endpoints and the ability to ensure that the link between them is secure anyway - what does tunnelling it all inside SSH get you?]. In other words, what are you trying to do?

Reply to
alexd

I need to use encrypted traffic to prevent ISP browser sniffing.

SSH+ is a more secured variant of SSH tunneling. SSH encrypts traffic like VPN except it usually only encrypts HTTP/HTTPS/SOCKS traffic. SSH tunneling is often much faster than VPN.

Reply to
M.L.

OK I've reread your OP, and it's a bit clearer now. For some reason I thought you were just SSHing to your phone from your laptop.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.