Sprint Internet antenna with 802.11b?

I have a sprint antenna that I am no longer using. It has a connection for an RG6 (of which cable I have plenty of). I also have an ORiNOCO gold card with the MC Card connector. Can I create a pigtail that will convert MC-Card to RG6 so I could see if this antenna give any improvements at all?

Any input appreciated!

Reply to
Scott Phelps
Loading thread data ...

You can get a pigtail that will go from MC to typically N-type. From there you're on your own.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

It's probably not just an antenna. It's a complete up/down converter radio. The other end of the RG-6/u goes to what amounts to a DOCSIS

1.0 cable modem. Inside the "antenna" is quite a bit of electronics including a 2.4Ghz notch filter designed to remove any possible interference to the 2.5Ghz MMDS signal. With this filter in place, it's useless for 2.4GHz.

I can't tell from your description which style of antenna you have. My guess is that it's a California Amplifier model:

formatting link
was used extensively in the SF Bay area.

One of these could probably be hacked into something useful, but not without a pile of test equipment and some microwave experience.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I couldn't find that model number on the California Amplfier web pile. Using Google, it appears to be a model supplied to Sprint (Wavepath) for consumer MMDS service. I found the patent on the device, which has something on what's inside.

formatting link
might wanna lookup the FCCID on the FCC web pile for more internal details. I don't think it is suitable for 2.4GHz without extensive modifications and a pile of test equipment.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Its not the same model but very simular. My model is the part no 520024-2 ... but probally not a whole lot of difference. Right?

Reply to
Scott Phelps

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.