Splash Screen at Coffee Shop

At some public places with free wireless internet, you get a splash screen that appears when you first bring up your Internet browser. This screen at Panera, for example, welcomes you to the shop, and suggests that you not take up 2 tables during busy hours, etc.

I would like to put up a splash screen at my place of business where I have free wireless Internet. My Internet is just through a local cable provider. How do I set it up to have a splash screen when users first log on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Steve Stottlemyer

Reply to
matthew.beckwith
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the wireless router you're using or whether you have a local server available. Basically, the router redirects all port 80 (http) connections to a local web page until some action is performed. There are a bunch of commerical and free implimentations of hot spot software to impliment a captive portal[1]. Most are designed for the Linksys WRT54G and are based on NoCat. In this case, look at "NoCat Splash".

formatting link
OpenWRT has a build which includes NoCat Splash but the link appears to be dead:
formatting link
we need to know what hardware you have in order to suggest a more specific implimentation.

[1] Firefox just ate my bookmarks file and I have to dig a backup out from my pile of cd's that fell over last night. There are days like this. Sorry, no links right now.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There are some solutions that you cobble together, and there are some packages that you can buy ready to go. Some include hardware, some expect you to add their software to existing hardware.

Three thoughts:

formatting link

Reply to
dold

ZoneCD

formatting link
Free and open source.

Works great. I use it myself.

Cheers Eric

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.