Speed drops after connecting to a secure site

Somebody asked the following on a Yahoo forum yestereday. Does anybody here have an explanation for him?

******************* begin quote ************************ Hope someone has insight into a problem I have encountered on several different WiFi cards and WiFi routers (both paired i.e two linksys products, and unpaired D-Link Router and built-in Intel Wifi). I'll establish a g connection with good to excellent signal strength and connection speed of 30-50+mbps. I'll surf non-secure web sites for any length of time with no speed degradation. I'll sign into any secure site MSN Finance, Yahoo Mail, Comcast Mail, etc. and the signal strength will remain constant, but the connection speed will drop to 1 mbps. Going to a non-secure web site does not improve the speed. The only way to re-establish the speed is to break the WiFi link (repair, etc.). The speed then resumes performing at the high level vs 1mbps.

I can repeat this at will at home or on the road.

******************* end quote ************************
Reply to
Dave Rudisill
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.