Speaker zones to recieve wifi music from iTunes... how?

While installing a downstairs shower-room and extending and remodelling my kitchen, I lowered the ceilings in both rooms, so that I could install, low voltage, recessed spots. At the same time, I took the opportunity to also install flush mounted, boat speakers in both rooms. I ran the wiring to emerge at the back of my TV, where I connected up to the auxillary speaker ports and could then access the radio stations available through Sky digital, to enjoy in the two rooms, fed by the zones.

This was great as a quick set-up but, with three young kids in the house, I soon got fed up with constantly listening to Dora the bloody Explorer while I showered or made breakfast!

Rather than buying a new music system to feed these two zones, I was wondering if it would be possible (and economically viable) to set up a system which would allow the new speaker zones, to pick up music, wirelessley from my PowerBook G4, as this is by far the best source for my music, as I have a large library of MP3s and there are all the radio stations that now netcast.

I have a wireless network operating in the house and this is distributed through a Vigor 2600G router. Rather than buying wireless speakers, which are unlikely to allow direct replacement of the ones I currently have in the ceiling, I am wondering if a device exists that can connect to standard speakers, act as a receiver, and enable said speakers to emit sound, as broadcast from my laptop's iTunes, over the wifi network!

Can this be done or are dedicated wireless speakers the only option for picking up wifi music?

cheerz deerz, deano.

Reply to
deano
Loading thread data ...

Heathen.

An Airport Express could do that - up to you whether you decide that's economically viable of course. If you update the firmware on your Express then you can broadcast to multiple Expresses simultaneously too, which should help when you're planning zones etc.

And remember, once you've set up your wireless speakers....

(da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da) We did it. We did it. We did it. Hooray!

Cheers, Ian (who quite enjoys Dora the Explorer actually)

Reply to
Ian McCall

Ok, but what do I need to add at the speaker ends? As I said, I'd rather not have to disturb the current speakers! Ideally, I'd simply be able to connect them up to a wifi receiver that is picking up music from my laptop, via my WLAN... would the expresses be able to do this and feed the speakers? What connections/power sources would be required for the components?

ta, Dean (I also used to like DTE, but with a 6 and 3 year old, and an 8 week old, in the house... I've been over-exposed for far too long!)

Reply to
deano

Dora sure beats the hell outta the purple anti-christ (Barney)

Cheers!

ISPgeek

formatting link
and Software Support Forums Free Broadband Speed Test Free Web Hosting and eBay image hosting (no banners, no popups, NO JOKE!) Free Music Streams (1 Office Safe, 1 Not Office Safe) No Banners, No Popups, No Advertising of ANY Type

Reply to
ISPgeek

I think you are much better off using a specialized device such as Sonos:

formatting link
that uses your WiFi network as a medium and takes care of storing, accessing and then amplifying the music on the receiving end.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

AC power for each AirPort Express and an amplifier for each set of speakers. The Express' audio output connector can handle a standard analog or an optical digital miniplug. AirTunes (iTunes audio streaming) uses an encrypted version of Apple's lossless audio codec, which takes about half the bandwidth of a PCM audio stream.

Reply to
Neill Massello

On 30 Nov 2006 16:21:17 -0800, "deano" wrote in :

Amplifiers. The Airport Express can drive powered speakers directly, but needs an amp with unpowered speakers.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks to all for the suggestions and info.

I'd love to be able to get the Sonos system, but that's a bit beyond the budget I have for this... maybe Santa will oblidge :)

Squeezbox looks good for the next phase, when I have some money free next year.

For now, the Express route with AC amps to power the speakers looks like the most appropriate route.

Cheerz deano.

Reply to
deano

On 3 Dec 2006 02:48:58 -0800, "deano" wrote in :

Yep. Good powered speakers also work very well; e.g., Cambridge Sounds Works on clearance

formatting link
?category=bgd_spk_mul&item=l1il3500&type=store
formatting link
?category=bgd_spk_mul&item=c1mw21ee&type=store

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.