Spanning the distance

I have a Linksys WRT54G router in my house near the window with a direct line of sight to the detached garage about 50 yards away. I can get a wireless connection just outside the garage, but not once I'm inside. Will placing a WAP54G in the window of the garage meet the signal coming from the house half way and "boost" it so I can transmit the wireless signal to the laptop inside the garage?

I guess my question is what is the maximum range between a WRT54G and a WAP54G with a direct line of sight and 2 windows in between. I'm not looking to use a directional antennae in this solution.

Similar experiences as feedback welcome.

Not that it matters, I'm running ver 3.01 firmware on the WRT54G

Todd

Reply to
Todd B
Loading thread data ...

The latest firmware versions allow you to run the WAP54G as a repeater, with no net connection required.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Reply to
Todd B

I tried the solution you are thinking of but that doesn't work. The WAP54G has to be wired to the network to be able to expand it.

Maybe this product is more like the thing you need.

formatting link
Sander.

Reply to
Sander

Jeff,

Actually I just purchased the WAP54G today and yes, I could use cat5 between the laptop & the WAP if it can't be used as a repeater for my WRT54G (see Clark Griswold message and Linksys product page for WAP54G). The windows are double paned (ie. no storm windows) and I can't answer about any leading in the glass itself

My line of sight is no more than 100 ft with nothing, & I mean nothing, but air, rain, snow, or whatever else in between.

Thanks

Reply to
Todd B

No. The WAP54 is not a repeater, WDS repeater, or signal booster. Your choices are:

1. Attach a CAT5 cable from the laptop in the garage to the WAP54G in the window. The WAP54G will be running in the client mode.
  2. Find a better antenna for whatever you're using in your laptop.
  3. Put the WRT54G currently in the house also in a window so you have a better view of the garage. 150 ft should be no problem if you really have line of sight.
  4. Find a directional antenna for the WRT54G in the house that aims most of the RF toward the garage.
    formatting link
    Reading between the lines of your slightly ambiguous description, I deduce that you are using a laptop to determine the range and coverage in the garage, and that you have not yet purchased a WAP54G. Is this correct?

About 300ft between omni directional antennas normally supplied with the WRT54G and WAP54G. About 100ft between the WRT54G and a typical laptop with built in antenna.

1. I are sure you have line of sight with nothing in between, or are you shooting through some trees?
  2. Any plating or coating on the glass windows?
  3. Any major reflective objects (metal doors, metal garage, etc)?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Get an USB wifi client adapter, place it on the windowsill of your garage in direct line of sight to your wifi AP / router, connect to your laptop (with up to 5m of cable). Works for me through two sets of double glazed and leaded windows at an acute angle and clear space of 80m. Using Draytek Vigor 2600 wifi router and Orinoco USB adapter. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Sorry. I goofed. The WAP54G *can* be used as a repeater. The feature appeared in a recent firmware update and I didn't notice. You hae to have: WRT54G Version 2.02.2 or higher WAP54G Version 2.06 or higher

Setup instructions for using WAP54G as a repeater at:

formatting link

It should work at 100ft if you really have line of sight. Try temporarily opening the windows to be sure that there's nothing in the glass causing problems. Duh, is there a window screen? Water condensing on the glass will block some signal. So will a blob of CAT5 cable coming out of the back of the radio tangled with the antennas.

I've also found some badly built antennas. They're nothing but a piece of coax cable, with about 3cm of exposed center conductor as the radiator. The center conductor sometime creeps back into the shield and detunes the antenna. You might try juggling antennas.

Another bad guess: I just spent a few hours trying to diagnose a flakey connection. Good signal strength and S/N but lousy thruput. I eventually found the crappy CAT3 (not CAT5) patch cable. If you're using thruput as an indication of signal problems, be sure to check the connections and to use whatever diagnostics are provided to check the signal strength.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Huh? The WAP54 is too a repeater. It runs as an AP, or a repeater, or a client, or a bridge.

I'm looking at the options screen right now.

Reply to
Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.