sonic wall pro 3060 gateway...

Greetings,

I have been doing some research and came across the sonic wall pro 3060 gateway. I'm interested in building a network where I will provide wireless internet support for apartment complexes in a college town.

the sonic wall pro 3060 seems like a very good choice for a gateway (given it virus scanning and user manangment abilities). when looking at other gateways/routers, i don't see as many of the virus and spyware capibilites.

can someone comment on a "bare bones" solution that can be use in an apartmetn complex.

important features would be

1) user access control 2) bandwidth control 3) web based control 3( protection from virus etc...

also, i'm having a hard time understanding the difference between the virus and "stateful packet inspection" products that i'm seeing. what are the pro's and con's of the two technologies?

Reply to
wirelessguy
Loading thread data ...

Just a general comment re SonicWall -- make sure you fully understand how much your router is going to cost when all is said and done. I have a SonicWall 2040 and it starts with a base price of about $1500, but rapidly increases when you activate additional ports for second WAN, wireless zone, virus protection, content filtering, etc. For example, the SonicWall has four physical ports on the front, but only 3 are usable unless you upgrade to SonicOS Enhanced (approx $1000 additional) With that said, I love the SonicWall stuff. Reliable and easy to manage.

I've never used their stuff, but Sputnik looks interesting for wireless network management:

formatting link

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.