Solved but puzzled: high cpu usage with IBM 802.11abg card

My Thinkpad T40 has IBM's 802.11a/b/g wireless card and this connects to the downstairs router, a DLink G604 using WPA and TKIP.

On several occasions I have observed laptop CPU usage suddenly climb to around 100% and then stay there indefinitely, and, after installing the latest drivers and BIOS, this still wasn't fixed. If you disabled the wireless card then CPU usage dropped right back down to zero again. Re-enable it and up went the CPU.

After a good deal of headscratching I found that if I wandered downstairs with the laptop and put it close to the router, suddenly CPU usage dropped back down to zero. But the signal strength upstairs was shown as excellent and the transmit rate was 54Mbps. So what was going on?

I went back upstairs and the CPU usage then climbed back up again. So I did a network scan and found that, hmm, there are three other networks in the area, each with signal strength around 80%. Now, when I first set everything up there was only my network when I scanned.

So then I thought, I wonder what happens if I select 802.11b transmit mode on the card?. Well, this fixed the problem, albeit with a transfer rate now set to 11Mbps. This isn't terribly much of a problem as obviously my broadband link to the outside world is slower than that, but this is a very interesting discovery. If you get a problem like this and your card supports an alternative mode compatible with the router, it might be worth trying that mode.

My suspicion is that there is a problem with the driver. When there are multiple networks it starts doing a flurry of channel hopping and signal strength checking - the diagnostic logs seem to support this theory - and this chews up CPU like crazy. This might affect other Atheros-based cards, as well.

Reply to
ajmayo
Loading thread data ...

I have observed an almost identical situation using a USB adaptor with a Prime RT2500 chipset. (PESI WU233g). Oddly, the AP is also a Dlink 604. Unfortunately my location can "see" my AP and the annoying AP which is usually running streaming video most of the time. He also runs a power amplifier (big mouth, small ears) and his system is unaware of any other user. Although we have locked down our transmit speeds to 2 Mbs, the receive side appears to recognise all speeds. This probably is because the receive side is clocked from the incoming received data stream. It would appear as if drivers were written and tested in "clean" single user environments!

Peter

Reply to
Pierre

"Pierre" hath wroth:

The Dlink DI-604 is not a wireless router. I think you mean DI-514,

524, 624 or 824.

Lovely. Big mouth and small ears is called an "alligator".

Nope. It's because *ALL* 802.11b management (and flow control) frames are sent at the slowest 1Mbit/sec speed. That's to insure that everyone can hear and decode everyone else regardless of their speed settings.

This has nothing to do with the high CPU usage problem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The Dlink DSL-G604T is a ADSL Wireless Router/Modem

formatting link

The USB port to the adaptor is working overtime during this high CPU utilisation period. I should get some more tools in place and investigate further but my time is now being spent building a small doubler from the

23cm gear that will quieten the local small eared alligator. The other licence that Jeff and I have is quite handy! Peter de C21TA et al
Reply to
Pierre

The DI-604 is not wireless:

formatting link
DSL-G604T is not listed on the USA site which I guess means that it's not sold in the USA.

Try running the Windoze Task Manager "Processes" tab. Add to the columns with: View -> Columns and add: i/o reads i/o writes i/o other They should show which program has gone nuts. Also, watch the CPU and memory utilization.

Don't bother. The carrier to interference ratio (jamming margin) on spread sprectrum is about 10dB. See table at:

formatting link
way are you going to belch enough CW (or FM) to trash his receiver. That's the whole idea behind spread spectrum. It's almost totally immune to CW jamming. The best you can do is overload his receiver (blocking). If you modulate your carrier with PN (pseudo-noise), you might simulate an DSSS signal, which would certainly cause your victim a problem. Now, if you really want power, how about just connecting a coax cable to a microwave oven output coupleing loop, and really cook them?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Anyone else remember that guy who built a 2.4GHz amp from a microwave oven klystron? He had a giant circulator so he could feed in a modulating signal, and the klystron would lock onto it. It wasn't clear from the article if he had yet fired it up, but the power supply was truly scary!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

William P.N. Smith hath wroth:

Microwave ovens use a magnetron, not a klystron. I went looking for the article on converting a microwave oven into a transmitter. I couldn't find it. Lots of articles on dangerous experiments (plasma generators, ball lightning, sparks, etc) but nothing on use as a communications device.

Well, let's do a bit of math. Let's pretend his antenna has a VSWR of about 1.5:1 which will reflect about 5% of the power at the antenna. The circulator dummy load has to absorb this reflected power. 800 watts coming from the magnetron yields 40 watts in the dummy load. 40 watts of dissipation will require a rather large dummy load. In addition, the circulator usually burns about 1dB of loss, so it will need to dissipate about 80 watts itself. I could probably build a hybrid ring circulator that would handle that, but not a ferrite circulator. How one would use a circulator to modulate a magnetron is beyond my imagination. However, there are articles on phase locking magentrons for use in a particle accellerator, so I guess it can be done by phase locking it to an 802.11 source.

formatting link
Let me know if you find the construction article. I do remember seeing (and ignoring) it about a year ago.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

[Oops, slept since then, and had kids, and all that.]

This had to be back in my serious ham days (before kids), and since my daughter is 12, it was at least a decade ago, well before everything was on the WWWeb.

I just checked my stash of ham publications, and it's not there. IIRC, it was one of those occasional (maybe quarterly) magazines like ATV Magazine or something.

Again, the article didn't exactly say he had ever fired it up, so reading between the lines seemed to indicate that it was a project in process, so he may not have had all the details worked out. Still, a scary power supply and project in general.

Google Groups gets some hits on "microwave oven transmitter", especially in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew which discuss just this subject.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

You provided this link in another forum.

formatting link
formatting link
Bob

Reply to
Bob II

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.