solution to weak signal?

please let me know if this item would be good for increasing my signal for my laptop(w/out) having access to the router? Or do you think a repeater would be better(where do I find that item?

Reply to
Robert
Loading thread data ...

here is link for above topic:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert

Hi, Speed booster. Did not say signal booster. Two different thing. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

it says signal strength low or very low when I hold mouse over connection on system tray. 11mbps or even 5.5mbps when I hold pointer over connection. As I said, I don't have access to the router therefore without that possibility(I am surfing off neighbor's connection), what device can I buy that would bring in my wifi signal stronger(repeator or better wireless card?) please put link in here if you can suggest some sites or devices-- Thank you. hp pavilion notebook zv5000 series. win xp home

Reply to
Robert

Hi, There are some higher power cards available. I use Orinoco gold combo card. It can do 100mW but I use it at 30mW for my own need. Considered a possibility for external antenna to your existing card? Some you can connect external antenna with coax connection. I am no expert on WiFi, just 3 laptops(2 PC, 1 Power book) and a desktop are on wireless router at home(Linksys WRT54G using dd-wrt f/w). Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Can you please look at link below and see if any of items on site are similar to what you are referring to? If not please suggest site that would carry these items- Thank you.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert

Hi, I don't know how much help you need but those things are pro level stuff. Expensive too. What is signal quality from your AP? Do you have problem both in TX and RX? Or need more help with either RX or TX. When signal is weak interference is a killer. Like cell phones. I have

5.8GHz cell phones in my house. And I stay on channel 11. Tony
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have no idea what those 2 letter abbreviations stand for that you have indicated. The signal is weak at my end because the router is in a different(neighbor's) apartment. Therefore because of the distance, I have a weak signal on my end. Do you think I should but the antenna first or the orinoco card you mentioned. I pull the pcmcia card out of my laptop, insert the new card and then install the drivers w the cd or by downloading? In device mgr is broadcom 54g maxperformance 802.11g. Please suggest a site where I can order these products as well as get tech support before I buy. Thank you.

Reply to
Robert

Have you tried moving to a different spot in the house?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Not familiar with the laptop in question, but if it supports USB, that type of wireless 'card' often gives you a wire running to the actual 'card', thus it is easy to move without moving the PC. You could in theory (not in bad weather of course) toss it out the window and eliminate one set of walls between you and the AP.

Reply to
Rico

Check this link out, will this work for me; looks like I would have to open laptop!!?? from illustration?

formatting link

Reply to
Robert

Oops, I misunderstood, thought we were talking about a laptop, not a desktop. For a desktop this looks like it could well be worth trying. Ought to be easy to install, just a PCI slot on the backplane. Note nothing is sure in your situtation until you try it. Are we working house to house? How many walls and feet between the computer and the AP (best guess)?

Reply to
Rico

signal from same house; no more than 30 feet(probably less) Did you see anything in that ebay store that might work(that one is only for desktop??) Thank you. (We are talking about a laptop-)

Reply to
Robert

The card in the ebay link was for a PCI card, did you not notice the 'silver' spoon on the end of it? If you are in the same house, seriousily, try moving around a bit. Your problem is 2.4Ghz will not pass through a solid wall. What happens in most homes is the signal finds holes and cracks in the wall(s) and or reflects off solid objects until it hits your reciever or disipates. By moving just a bit you may reduce the number of reflections or get in the sweet spot for the signal coming through a crack in the wall (note these holes and cracks may not be decernable with the naked eye).

If you want a card with an external antenna, take a look at:

formatting link
Naturally watch for line wrapping.

Reply to
Rico

Reply to
bretk

what abt this one here- you can attach external antenna also?

formatting link

Reply to
Robert

formatting link
Hi, Yes. You can use external antenna of your choice and improve the situation. Noticed this one is 802-11b card? Orinoco is good card. Some people hates Orinoco(Lucent) but I like mine. Good luck

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hey who ever mentioned it; I moved my laptop around like a few feet, now I have a much faster connection. The guy probably moved his router a bit--

Reply to
Robert

Since I moved the laptop I'm getting downloads of 2728kbps and uploads of 1127kbps!! Just moving the laptop several feet and pointing it in a different direction made all the difference in the world. Thank you for your tips-

Reply to
Robert

Glad to help, anytime you have a wireless signal strength issue I recommend moving around a bit first. If that fails then start into the 'throw money at it' solutions. But remember moving a few feet is often free...

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.