Software to connect to a free wifi location??

I installed a new Enterasys RoamAbout 802.11b PC CARD ("relabled" Orinoco) on an old Windows 98SE laptop (48MB RAM), and I installed the Enterasys drivers and client manager. I went to a free wifi spot, and the client manager says I'm connected. But nothing works, like Internet Explorer (I tried selecting the automatically configure option under LAN settings). The only "wireless" icon on the control panel is related to the enterasys client manager. I had assumed windows would manage this type of internet connection. The card shows up in network properties, but there is no "advanced" tab for that one, only the option to add protocols (TCP/IP is already there). (What protocol do I need to add?)

I searched the net for software to connect, and didn't find much. There's "Boingo" which seems to want you to register with all your personal info. I also found WiNC, but that requires Windows 2000.

Do I need to update Windows 98SE on my laptop (hard w/no internet...), or can someone recommend a free software package that will work?

Thanks

Reply to
larry_a475
Loading thread data ...

did you receive the appropriate IP Address? If you did, could you ping anything else etc. Normal network trouble shooting from here.

Reply to
qwe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.