So much for security

Look for "linksys" in these captures:

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Only 3 open wireless access points? How about 11,633,000 (and climbing):

Winner of the most open access points is (insert drum roll): San Francisco:

It's not a security problem... it's a resource.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:05:27 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Most of the rest were running WEP, which is pretty much the same thing. ;)

Reply to
John Navas

Yep. I only saw one 2wire router on your list. Around here, they're far more common. The default encryption is 64bit WEP with the Hex encyption key printed on the serial number tag. This is despite the fact that the Atheros chipset and firmware supports WPA/WPA2. I once tried various WEP crackers on a 2wire router and couln't get enough IV's to deduce the WEP key. They might be running WEP+, dynamic WEP, or WEP2, but there's no documentation indicating such. Oh well.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Out here in the Midwest, the 2Wire networks run plain old WEP by default. Average time to gain the key is about 3-5 minutes if packet injection is used, much longer without. Piece of cake and really drives home the concept that WEP is broken.

Reply to
Char Jackson

OK. That makes sense. 2wire uses Atheros wireless chips in the current wireless routers (2700HG and 2701HG) which don't support any of the "enhanced" WEP modes. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but if you can crack it, then 2wire is not using WEPplus etc. I just found a 2701HG router (without power supply) at the local thrift shop. I'll give aircrack-ptw a try.

As John said "so much for security".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

So, let's see how my neighborhood is doing from my laptop:

12 wireless systems. 4 with no encryption. 3 using WEP (All of them 2wire) 4 using WPA 1 using WPA2 3 using the default SSID Yech. Actually there are only 11 systems. 1540 Jackson Ave and TESTNET are the dual SSID's of my wireless router.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.