So bloody annoying!!! Argh!

I've just bought a Buffalo Air Station Ethernet Converter (WLI-TX4-G54HP) to use with my fairly new Slingbox. I have tried everything, but the connection between my router (Netgear WPN824) and the air station is flaky when near to each other, but non existent when more than 10 feet away from each other. I have been prancing around the sitting room with the Buffalo in one hend seeing if I can get any signal at all from the Netgear router which sits just above the lounge in the spare room/study. I'm now considering a high gain aerial (WLE-HG-NDR), but before I throw even more good money down the drain, should I bother, and will I get a connection?

I didn't think I would have any problem with signal strength, as I already use two laptops around the house without any problems, although the strength of the signal in the lounge goes from good to very low depending on where I'm sitting with the laptop.

I bought the Buffalo because of recommendations from loads of places on the web saying it is the best one. I have spent a day and a half trying to configure the bloody thing, trying to use WEP but then discovering that doesn't work so have had to change my network to WPA-PSK. Not a problem, because it is more secure, however, it now means my wireless IP camera doesn't work because it's only got WEP (more frustration!!).

Reply to
tom.bradbury
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

I'm waiting for one to arrive in the mail for a similar application.

Everything? That which is most obviously correct, beyond any need of checking, is usually the problem. What have you overlooked or ignored?

That's wrong. I've had problems with the WPN824 in not being able to maintain a solid connection that was solved with a firmware update.

This router uses beam steering to point the internal antenna in the best possible direction. The problem is that the [deleted explitive] at Netgear seem to find it cosmetically correct to show the router in the vertical (tower) position. That's nice but the PCB antenna under the (highly irritating) flashing blue light doesn't work vertically, only horizontally. I don't think this will fix the 10ft maximum range problem, but it might eliminate the problem where it's almost comatose to clients located on the opposite side of the (highly irritating) flashing blue light.

Also, you might want to turn off most of the wireless "enhancements" such as Super-G, Turbot, or whatever they call it this week.

It's a high power client. It should work farther than 10 ft. Methinks something is broken with your new Buffalo client. Try it with a different wireless router (neighbors, friends, hot spot, etc) and see if it does the same thing. If yes, it goes back.

My crysal ball is getting its predictive troubleshooting circuit upgraded so I can't predict the effects of adding a good antenna to what might be a defective antenna. Incidentally, the connector is just a common R-SMA connector. You should be able to borrow a replacement antenna from any other wireless device with a similar connector.

Sigh. Lay the Netgear WPN-824 flat. Upgrade the firmware. Take two aspirin. Don't bug me until tomorrow as I have some construction scrap to turn into firewood first.

If you used the Hex WEP key, instead of ASCII, it will work. Yeah, I know that everyone hates typing in 26 cryptic characters...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Can disengage the MIMO on the netgear and go to stanadard 802.11 g if so it should work.

Reply to
operations

How do you turn MIMO off on the Netgear WPN824?

I've got a button on the physical router which turns off those annoying little leds, or...

Set mode from 'Auto 108Mbps' to 'g and b'?

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.