Sniffer progs delete my PDA's setting

Can't say for the others, but I notice you use pocketwinc. So do I. Just add you home device to the preferred list, and when you get back home, it will specifically connect to whatever you have on the preferred list. I got out seeing what's around (in Vegas, there are literally thousands of em), and then when back home, it changes settings and reconnects.

Just out of curiosity, why use different ones? I used to have some of the others but like the pocketwinc the best and just use that now. It is the only one that lets me connect when it snifs out an AP i want to access.

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Using a SanDisk WiFi card in my Mitac 168 I have no problems at home connecting to my own router and achieving updates via Active Sync and AvantGo.

However, whenever I return home after I've been out and about using any of the sniffer progs like Boingo, WiFiFoFum, pocketWinc etc I am no longer able to connect to my own router. What I find is that the PDA's settings have been overwritten and it can no longer get an IP from my router - I suspect because the WEP & WPA keys on the PDA have been zapped.

The only way round this is to take a quick Registry backup before I go out, then restore the registry once I'm home again.

Can anyone explain why this is happening, and how I can resolve it?

Reply to
Geoff

remove one application at a time until it stops. I would start with boingo,it made my serial mouse hard to control when it was active and changed me to a dialup connection when I clicked the wrong button.

Reply to
Luddite

If I may make a suggestion for an alternative (I ended up doing this myself, so I think it is a better way of doing it).. I have a PDA that has built in WiFi but not WPA (just WEP, and even that is whacky), but also does VPN, so I started looking for free (I'm cheap) server and client software on the internet... There are lots of them (big, make sure you have a high speed cable or dsl if you download the free stuff), and I made my system a VPN server, and the laptops and pda clients. Now with the VPN, I don't have to worry about security things, and as a bonus, can use my laptop or pda at work/when traveling to access my VPN. (do have cable IE a dynamic IP address, so it changes once in a blue moon, but with a lease time of 7 days, and usually getting the same IP address again, it's usually the same).. As a bonus, I found a program that lets me access my home PC as if I was there, so I can be at work or traveling, using the client to control my home computer as if I was there. (same as what gotomypc allows you to do)...

A sort of funny (at least I think it is funny) thing, I have thousands of MP3's on my network at home, and the PDA has built in WiFi and a MP3 player, I was sitting in the hot tub at a hotel thousands of miles from home, was able to log onto my home network/tranfer the music files to my PDA/and then play them while sitting in the hot tub...

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have my home network in the preferred list, but although it sees my network, it fails to connect (little red square icon). I keep inputting the WEP key, but notice that PocketWinc has no provision for inputting the WPA key (I have WEP and WPA security on the router). How do I get around the absence of WAP in PocketWinc?

Even firing up PocketWinc and then closing it again knocks out my WEP/WPA settings forcing me to restore the registry in order to connect again to the router.

I also have WiFiFOFUM and this does NOT zap these settings. I can fire it up and close it again and still connect to my router.

I would love to be able to use PocketWinc (duly paid for), but until I can crack this problem it's a real menace!

Reply to
Geoff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.