SMCWAPS-G Experience?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the SMCWAPS-G:

formatting link
I got one of these awhile ago, and it works ok when it's working, but I've had constant problems with it hanging. Powering the device off, then on again, seems to get it working again for awhile.

I have a feeling that the problem is heat related. One of the reasons that I say this is that the frequency of hanging is higher when I have an internal 2.5" drive installed (the drive gets warm/hot and it "sits" right on top of the main PCB).

I think that SMC hasn't made these for awhile, and it looks like another company (AirLive) may be selling it now:

formatting link
Anyway, if, by chance anyone here has one of these, I was wondering, if you have similar hanging problems, and if so, what'd you do about it? I've contacted SMC support, but am waiting to hear back.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
ohaya
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

For the record, I figured out the problem.

It was the wall/power adapter. Apparently, it would shutdown after awhile. Since this device is out of production, I had to go looking for an alternate supply. I looked on Ebay, and I found a fellow that was selling some 5v/3A adapters that are suppose to be compatible with Dlink, so I figured I'd take a chance. I figured that, at worst, I could replace the connector.

Anyway, I received the adapter today, and powered up the SMCWAPS-G, and it's been working since.

Later, Jim

ohaya wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
ohaya

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.