SMC Gateway for VPN?

I'm getting a static IP from Comcast (in order to share an ACT database) and Comcast will provide me an SMC Gateway model 8013 or 8014. The SMC has VPN pass thru. If I wish to access the home computer remotely with a VPN, do I need an additional device between the gateway and the computer? Thanks LT - Newb....

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:23:35 -0800, "LT" wrote in :

Not if the computer is able to serve as the VPN endpoint.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't know that I'd use it that way.

Is the remote connection syncronizing to use the data when disconnected? As in, a laptop? Or is it expecting to use the data 'live' with a constant connection? If it's the latter I'd be more inclined to use something like Remote Desktop, Citrix or even VNC for the task. Better to just make a desktop connection instead of trying to force a constant link to the database. But it'd depend entirely on what's actually being used.

As for VPN, you need to have something on your end to receive the VPN connection. This can be a router or it can be software on a PC. If you've got a Windows server running already then you can use the Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) software that already comes with it. If not then you have to add (and configure) software. Alternatively you could just use a router that has VPN features built into it. Use one instead of the craptacular SMC unit.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.