SMC Barricade router as a bridge?

Ok, let me try to explain this as best as possible. I have a wireless router that is set up quite a distance from one side of the house. It has an internet connection, but the signal is not strong enough to the other side.

So...my question is. I have another wireless router SMC barricade. And I was wondering if there is any way to connect this router as a bridge and boost the signal. Maybe even act as a repeater or something so my desktop on the other side of the house can get a connection. Can wireless routers be used like this? Also, I've tried logging onto the router and seeing if there was a setting that stood out, but I can't seem to notice anything that would help me out.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Frank Vick
Loading thread data ...

It has to be hard-wired to the other router? Is there any way to do this wirelessly? Because running a cable from one to another would suck and probably isn't possible from just thinking off the top of my head.

Reply to
Frank Vick

See here:

formatting link
I use a cheap D-Link wireless router as an access point on another floor. Has to be hardwired to your main router/switch with cat5, set up as described in above link.

Rob

Reply to
MrSmiley

I've never seen it done with a router. You could try your luck with a "range extender" or repeater, but my experience with them tells me they don't work too well. If you ran cat5 even across the room you're in now, then attached the router (set up as a WAP) up high on a wall or in an attic, you might get enough signal strength on the other side of the house - it seems every inch matters with wireless. Rob

Reply to
MrSmiley

Most routers will not act as wireless repeaters. You don't mention which SMC you have, but the SMC7004WFW and VWBR will not. You could run a cable from one to the other, as suggested. That will work, and I have used several wireless routers that way.

Another possibility, also suggested, is to move the wireless router as far as possible. Then I would add a reflector and see if that helped to the far end of the house.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.