Smallest useful AP?

Hello fellas!

I work at remote sites quite a bit.. Power plants and places where there is not always a spot close to a switch or drop to plug into...

So I was thinking of getting a "travel sized" AP that I could just plug into a switch or drop. And then I could get an address from my wireless laptop wherever I could find a place to sit.

Sooooo... Any suggestions on a really small AP? One tat can be plugged in and repeat the DHCP servers info?

Thanks!!

Reply to
fishcca
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Friend of mine swears by it, as opposed to my belkin that I swear *at* ;)

Reply to
Richard Parkin

Check out the WiFlyer at

formatting link
is a pocket sized device, built in AP, and not only allows an ethernet input, but also has a built in dial-up modem for when you get stuck at a place that only has a phone line.. Think pockect sized AP that can either be connected to an ethernet port, OR use the built in modem to dial if no network.. Been using mine for about a year, and love it.

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 7 Jul 2006 06:43:37 -0700, "fishcca" wrote in :

Apple Airport Express. Excellent product.

Reply to
John Navas

I've got a Linksys WTR54GS travel router and love using it. It's got an electric plug built right into it so you don't have to lug along another power wall wart.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Linksys WTR54GS or Apple AirPort Express.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Add my vote for the WiFlyer or Airport Express, but it sounds like you need to have an AP only, or will a router work?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
fishcca

Reply to
fishcca

Reply to
fishcca

The Linksys looks good but the apple does look similar in features. I have itunes and an ipod but I am more of a PC user .

$90 vs 120 respectively.

54 G on both: any real experience for this claim?

The range and ease of use are most important as when I go off site it is to configure routers etc and do not want to trouble shoot an ap during short Change Control windows etc..

This is mostly as a bus> Great, thanks, I will check them out!

Reply to
fishcca

The Linksys looks good but the apple does look similar in features. I have itunes and an ipod but I am more of a PC user .

$90 vs 120 respectively.

54 G on both: any real experience for this claim?

The range and ease of use are most important as when I go off site it is to configure routers etc and do not want to trouble shoot an ap during short Change Control windows etc..

This is mostly as a bus> Great, thanks, I will check them out!

Reply to
fishcca

Reply to
fishcca

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.