Small print when printing

I have a laptop connected via wireless router to my desktop and I am sharing the printer connected to the desktop computer.

Whenever I print a document from the laptop, it prints in very small print. I have no problems printing from the desktop.

Any ideas ??

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray
Loading thread data ...

Can't I just load the software into the wireless laptop ??

Reply to
Ray

DanR,

I have win98 on the desktop which is the one that the printer is hard wired to and the laptop has Winxp.

I loaded the software CD that came with the printer into the laptop and it's printing normal. But now I have another problem...when I press the print button in outlook express or any other program, it will go to the print window and I have to press the print button in that window to print. Further, it takes quite some time (8 -10 seconds) for the print window to open. It seems there is some kind of conflict.

Before, when it was printing smaller, it wouldn't act like it's acting now. I'm not sure which route to go !

Maybe I need to load the win98 driver in the desktop and the winxp driver in the laptop or some kind of other combination.

What do you think ???

Reply to
Ray

Sounds like a "driver" problem. When you "add" the network printer the driver file is supposed to be sent via the network from the computer that is connected to the printer... to the wireless laptop computer. You might try removing the network printer from the laptop and start over.

Reply to
DanR

You may be able to do it that way but I believe the proper way is to let Windows grab the "proper" driver from the host computer. If you do it that way I'm not sure you get the fancy utilities like "Ink Levels etc" but if you're stuck I'd give it a try. Do you have the same Windows version on all computers? It's been a while since I've read up on this but the procedure could be different when you have different OSs on the networked computers.

Reply to
DanR

Well, maybe this is normal. It's getting too late to experiment here right now. When I print from a networked computer to a printer attached to another computer I usually choose to print from the File / Print menu. I actually want that printer window to open to make sure the printer properties are what I want. If I remember right at this hour... if I'm in a program like MS Word and I click the print icon... it just prints without anymore interaction and if I print from File / Print I get the printer window where I can check properties. The delay you talk about could be your laptop making sure the network is available. Then again you could be right about WinXP drivers vs. Win98 drivers.

Reply to
DanR

Are you getting a print preview window? If so you can deselect that in the printer preferences screen.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.