slower remote?

I am using a Microsoft MN-500 802.11b wireless network. My base internet download DSL speed is about 3 Mbps. When I access this network with my Vaio laptop I am only downloading at about 1.5 Mbps. Why is the remote slower? If I redo my system with something more modern like a linksys 802.11g, would my remote move faster?

My laptop is wireless capable for 802.11b/g

Thnx,

Willie

Reply to
William Saens
Loading thread data ...

That might be so but you haven't provided any information regarding the actual connection data rate. It could be that your laptop has fallen back to one of the slower data rates and thus you're getting slow performance.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

"William Saens" hath wroth:

I'm afraid that's about all you'll get out of 802.11b. A 3Mbit/sec DSL connection will yield about 2.5Mbits/sec download speed. The fastest 802.11b connection of 11Mbits/sec will only do about

5Mbits/sec thruput. Slower connection speeds are proportionately slower, usually at about half of the connection speed. 1.5Mbits/sec thruput sounds more like a 5.5Mbit/sec wireless connection, with some interference or reflections to slow it down somewhat. Check your wireless connection speed on the laptop.

If you want faster speeds, you will need to replace the MN-500 with an

802.11g wireless router. The 802.11g thruput are still about half the wireless connection speed, but the connection speeds are much higher. The 802.11g technology is also more immune to reflections and somewhat more immune to interference.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You're mixing up your MegaBITS with your MegaBYTES which is why one seems greater than the other. Put both speeds in the same units.

Reply to
frank

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.